Entire new side mirror assemblies or just replace the mirror head? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have what I think are original style round mirrors that attach to the upper door hinge mounts on both driver and passenger doors. The view field on them is rather limited and they don’t stay adjusted for very long. But reading online I’ve seen that you can replace the mirror heads themselves and leave the rest of mirror assembly alone. Is replacing the mirror with a larger rectangular mirror possible and if it is, is it worth doing? Or get a totally new mirror and bracket?
0B72315C-BE49-418C-8D02-AE753F89C3D3.jpeg

I have similar mirrors on my ‘76. Wondering if they can be unscrewed out of the support shaft and if ring held in place by three screws can slide past the screw in portion of Murrow ball? If that works then yes could replace with rectangular mirror with larger viewable area. Anyone know if this will work? I already have rectangular mirrors

I have similar mirrors on my ‘76. Wondering if they can be unscrewed out of the support shaft and if ring held in place by three screws can slide past the screw in portion of Murrow ball? If that works then yes could replace with rectangular mirror with larger viewable area. Anyone know if this will work? I already have rectangular mirrors

Whose mirrors, if you know?

Whose mirrors, if you know?
They are OEM Toyota-and still available but not sure if they would work. Can get part number tomorrow, mirrors down in the Valley. I have been curious about this as well.

I had something similar on my 77 that I had in the late 80’s and early 90’s. I may look at the vendors and order 2 that at least looks like these.

If your mirrors are not staying in place then simply tighten the three screws holding the head in place. If it is not the mirror that is moving tighten the arm hardware.

@byron probably has your answer. Yours appear to be the the same stock OEM mirrors on my ‘75. Agree with you that they don’t give you much field of view...but they are totally rock solid. Never vibrate and only move if I hit a branch pretty hard.

Try tightening up those 3 screws and see if that helps.

If your mirrors are not staying in place then simply tighten the three screws holding the head in place. If it is not the mirror that is moving tighten the arm hardware.

I've pretty much cranked as hard as I can on the 3 screws holding the mirror on ball end of the arm, on both the drivers side and passenger side mirrors. I could use a ratchet wrench with a Phillips bit but I don't want to strip the threads or the phillip slot.

Question is how did you get the rectangular mirror onto the arm that had the original round mirror?

That straight forward on a 68-76 FJ40. The section on the end with the ball the mirror swivels on unscrews from the arm. Then the remove the three screws on the back of mirror. Small round cone on the back of the mirror slip off small section of the arm. Reverse the process to mount the new mirror. Thought about doing that on my 68. Once I picked my first Haynes manual round mirror just have the classic look. Pretty sure the Man-A-Fre and Hickey catalogs I picked up on a trip to California in 1974 both have the same mirrors on 40 on the cover.

They are three sizes of the OEM round mirrors. The 10/70-1/75 were still available last time I checked. Other are NLA.

Checking a part diagram appears the ball section is included with the mirror.

Looks like arms and heads are still available from Toyota. Prices and part numbers further below.
Your mirror arms look like they are in great shape and new ones are fairly expensive.

In my opinion the Toyota mirror heads are a bargain considering the quality.
After seeing how well they are built I bought spares of both rectangular and round.

These mirrors mount via an 8mm x 1.25 threaded stud sticking out the back of the swivel that has an acorn nut on it.
On my mirror arms the stud bolts through a hole in the flattened end of the arm.
Your arms seem to terminate with a tube that looks like it must be threaded on the inside so wouldn't use the nut.
You would want to confirm it has an 8mm x 1.25 thread.

The swivel ball part that adjusts the tension of the heads is a part of the head assemblies so replacing the arms would not be needed to resolve that issue.

Rectangular mirror heads, all metal construction on the backs, Toyota pewter finish 4-1/2" x 7-1.4".
Toyota part number 87901-60011, $20.79 each from EB Toyota.

Round mirror heads, all metal construction on the backs, Toyota pewter finish 5-1.4" diameter
Toyota part number 87901-60020, $18.97 each.

Toyota mirror arms, one side door hinge mounted arms NLA.
Looks like arms that MOUNT TO WINDSHIELD HINGE NOT DOOR HINGE part number 87902-60030, $49.82 each

CCOT aftermarket arms that ALSO MOUNT TO THE WINDSHIELD HINGE, $75.00 pair.
Visibility of the passenger side mirror with the arm mounted to the windshield hinge is not very satisfactory with the doors on.

Good luck.

Cleg

Last edited:
Looks like arms and heads are still available from Toyota. Prices and part numbers further below.
Your mirror arms look like they are in great shape and new ones are fairly expensive.

After seeing how well they are built I bought spares of both rectangular and round.

These mirrors mount via an 8mm x 1.25 threaded stud sticking out the back of the swivel that has an acorn nut on it.
On my mirror arms the stud bolts through a hole in the flattened end of the arm.
Your arms seem to terminate with a tube that looks like it must be threaded on the inside so wouldn't use the nut.

The swivel ball part that adjusts the tension of the heads is a part of the head assemblies so replacing the arms would not be needed to resolve that issue.

Rectangular mirror heads, all metal construction on the backs, Toyota pewter finish 4-1/2" x 7-1.4".

Round mirror heads, all metal construction on the backs, Toyota pewter finish 5-1.4" diameter

Toyota mirror arms part number 87902-60030, $49.82 each

CCOT aftermarket arms in Toyota style, $75.00 pair, quality unknown.

Good luck.

Cleg

I show the LH arm NLA. Has been for quite a while.

Toyota mirror arms part number 87902-60030, $49.82 each

CCOT aftermarket arms in Toyota style, $75.00 pair, quality unknown.

Good luck.

Cleg
They are probably pretty new. I bought the Cruiser from someone who works in a body shop and spent time rebuilding it. Lots of parts look authentic and new. I will try tightening the screws one more time. I’d like to keep it close to original, so will try again tomorrow.

That straight forward on a 68-76 FJ40. The section on the end with the ball the mirror swivels on unscrews from the arm. Then the remove the three screws on the back of mirror. Small round cone on the back of the mirror slip off small section of the arm. Reverse the process to mount the new mirror. Thought about doing that on my 68. Once I picked my first Haynes manual round mirror just have the classic look. Pretty sure the Man-A-Fre and Hickey catalogs I picked up on a trip to California in 1974 both have the same mirrors on 40 on the cover.

They are three sizes of the OEM round mirrors. The 10/70-1/75 were still available last time I checked. Other are NLA.

Checking a part diagram appears the ball section is included with the mirror.
Thanks for this John. The ‘76 is up North but putting a rectangular mirror on it sure is appealing vs the “silver dollar” Size small one that was OEM👍 These days I am in the Valley during the week and usually in Prescott area on weekends.

Thanks for this John. The ‘76 is up North but putting a rectangular mirror on it sure is appealing vs the “silver dollar” Size small one that was OEM👍 These days I am in the Valley during the week and usually in Prescott area on weekends.

Pretty much in the same boat as you except no hard schedule when I'm where. If I was on my computer could show a picture of the driver's mirror that was my 70 FJ40. Believe they use some cloth between the back of the mirror and cone piece used to hold it on. I replaced with another mirror I had. Probably should buy a replacement. Then see which size mirror is still available. I remember when I broke a mirror on my 68 FJ40 the replacement was a different size. There are three different sizes of mirror. Have a box of these currently not in vehicles off the road. I know I have all three size mirrors. Would make sense the one still available is the largest one. If someone has bought one I could measure my mirrors.

I've never tried it but wonder if took the three screws out and put small piece of electrical tape on the ball if that would help prevent the mirror from slipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom