Engine Warning Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My engine warning light has been coming on recently. It only occurs when the engine revs over 3000 rpm and only stays on for a few seconds. I don't have an OBD II reader (no socket for the thing on the UK models) so can't make a dignosis that way.

My reading of the FSM suggests making a couple of connections in the diagnostics port using an SST and then counting the sequence and number of flashes of the engine warning light on the dash. The thing is, my engine warning light goes off after a couple of seconds so will it still work? I am not certain I have understood this procedure. Any suggestions? TIA

Jim

Jim,

There's gotta be a data link connector someplace. Are you sure it's not in the instrument panel fuse box? Is there a Toyota agency nearby that you may have be-friended? Maybe they would tell you it's location. PM me and we can discuss this further..........

BTW, is that little dot in the middle of your picture a WIDGET perhaps?........

(look what I found :beer:)

Todd

>>If you set a code, it will be there. If you have a problem >>with OBDII it will stay on. If you have a real problem it >>should flash. It's not the engine low oil light is it?

It's not the engine oil light. What do you mean 'if you set a code it will be there?

Dan

>>There's gotta be a data link connector someplace. Are you >>sure it's not in the instrument panel fuse box?

In my FSM it shows a data link connector in the fuse box (mine's a US FSM) There is no data link in my fuse box. The only other possible locations I've found are the diagnostic and the 'power' - both under the hood. I'll PM you about it.

>>BTW, is that little dot in the middle of your picture a WIDGET perhaps?........

No, it's you that has widgets on the brain ;)

cheers, Jim (I like the beer icon)

OBDII, if you have a 96 or newer US model, sets codes in a bunch of different ways. It has temp codes and hard codes. I think, although I'm not sure, it will light the MIL and not set a code if it doesn't think it's serious.
Temp codes are a potential problem that goes away if the problem does not reoccur in so many drive cycles. The light will go out. The most common of these is a loose gas cap. My EGR low flow was one of these, but no longer turns off.
Hard codes are re-occuring or serious problems and the light does not go out.
Flashing MIL means get it fixed right away.

95s were not 100% OBD compliant and 91-94 were not OBDII at all.

Jim, if you have any codes, they'll be stored in the computer, (Even with OBDII) and will read off in flashes starting with the code of the lowest number, ie. 21; 23, etc.

By the way, I just found that a local hangout has Boddington's, so I'll lift one for you and Dan!   :beer:  (That stuff in AZ is almost as expensive as gas :eek:!)

-H-

Jim,

I agree with HLTOPPER. The codes should be stored. They always are on my 62 and appear to be stored in my 96 OBDII crusher.

p.s. on another note, I am still battling my sunroof. &nbsp:Did you ever locate drains in the rear? I think they might be plugged.

I've made a bit of progress with this one. The Haynes manual shows how to obtain the diagnostic code output through the diagnostic terminal in the engine compartment. By shorting TE1 and E1 you can read the number and sequence of flashes of the engine warning light (I knew I had read about this somewhere).

Anyway, the sequence is: long pause.........flash....pause... flash...flash. I make that 12. The Haynes has code 12 as RPM SIGNAL. Diagnosis is: 'No rpm signal to the ECM within several seconds after'

The Haynes says the trouble area is one of the following:

'Distributor or Circuit'
'Crankshaft position sensor or circuit the engine is cranked ECM or circuit'

That's exactly what is says - and it makes no sense to me at all. Can anyone interpret what this might mean? I would be very grateful. I think I could be on the right track as the engine light comes on only when the revs are high.....

Cheers, Jim :beer:

PS Tenn, Pleased to hear you sorted out that leak. It can be infuriating - I know.

Jim,
I guess that you are not OBDII then, even though you have a 97.....I had to go back to a 94 to get a 12. It states:

No "NE" or "G1" ,"G2" signal to ECM within 2 seconds after cranking the engine.

Trouble area: Distributor circuit
Distributor
Starter signal circuit
ECM

I'm not sure that it would even run if that was the case Jim.
Dirty Fingernails is not here today to quiz. I am going to try to reach him at home. It is possible that your 12 is not our 12, I simply don't know........Could it maybe be a 21 instead?

Back later......Dan :beer:

Gumby

The Haynes says the default code is code 1: blinks once every .25 seconds. Also, code 1 blinks continually without pause. I would like to think it is a default code but having cancelled it, the engine light came back on .... Food for thought. I'm with you on the translation - it seems to have lost it's meaning.

Dan

I too thought it might be 21 - which is the code for main oxygen sensor or circuit. That might make sense. However, I re-checked the sequence and the long pause comes before the single flash which translates as 12. My mileage is close to 100,000 which could mean the 02 sensor has had it, but it's an expensive item to replace just on the off chance....
Is your 94 manual an FSM? In which case, does it offer any further explanation? Maybe dirty finger nails can help :-/

Thanks to both of you for the input

Cheers, Jim

I'm gonna stick with my original diagnoses. The 12 is normal because your checking the computer with the engine off and the key on and the check engine light is not storing a code. You'll have to spring for a diagnoses so a mechanic can put it on a scan tool while driving to see the glitch that's causing the light.

I could be way off, I often am. :D You might also have a situation where the tach signal is dropping out at high RPMs, but you would feel a miss because the fuel injection and the spark control can't work without a tach signal.

Jim, Jim, Oh Jim,.....

Is is a FSM?.......I can't believe you asked that question of me :eek:

I don't have anything else.............. :D

It's gotta be a 12 then. I'll look thru the diagnostics. I'm not much of a computer geek(I geek elsewhere 8) )I do have a new pc at home with a scanner. I may try to scan some of the pages and PM them to you, if I can do it without blowing up my new baby :stupid:

I don't know if this helps but, I tried reading the fault code with the engine running and at the same time trying to replicate the problem (high revs). It still gives me a Code 12. I don't have an OBDII port, but could I drive at high speed looking to see if the sequence of flashes alter?

:-/ Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom