Engine Temperature Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i did a search but no answers to my questions...figured i'd throw this out for consideration.

My new 1889 FJ62 has a new radiator and a new water pump and thermostat. The system does a GREAT job of cooling the 3FE. I'm concerned ,though, that it does TOO good a job.

My observations:

1. The temperature guage. Now I know that the stock guages are notoriously vague. BUT mine almost never gets above the first line. Something i have never seen. And i say almost never because I HAVE seen it climb up to about 1/3 on steep hills when really pushing. So it seems to be reading temp.

2. Black carbon on the exhaust. The tailpipe has excessive black carbon on the end...Again, something i don't think i have ever seen. I'm assuming that it might because the motor is running too cool.

What ,if any, are the symptoms and or problems of a motor running too cool.

Could it be that my thermostat is stuck open?

I'm curious to see what the MUD crew has to say about this.

Thanks in advance

:beer:

when you replaced the thermostat did you put in the new o-ring on top of the thermostat?

i JUST bought it.

the PO had it replaced...i'll have to check

Symptoms are consistent with missing that o-ring. This is often not installed. Coolent flows all the time, so engine temp goes up only when worked hard (like on a long hill). I'd purchase an o-ring before opening it up....

interesting...ok i'm going to check that out ASAP

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom