Engine swap rules/laws for successful registration in Maricopa County??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a really good understanding or recent first hand knowledge of what the current laws are and what is required to be able to register a vehicle in Maricopa County that has a different engine than it came with? I've read that the last few years, Arizona has really started cracking down on registering vehicles with engine swaps. More specifically, I'm looking for info on swapping an engine in a "newer" vehicle (post OBDII). Everything I have done has been old stuff to old stuff. :) From what I have read, the engine needs to be from a same year or newer vehicle, all emissions equipment from the donor vehicle intact and then some conflicting info on the ECU. I've seen both info on that when they plug in, the ECU needs to read the VIN from the current vehicle and conflicting info that it needs to read the VIN from the donor vehicle. Information seems to be all over the place out there. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

What year vehicle is receiving the engine swap?

What year vehicle is receiving the engine swap?

@AZ4ME what are you up to now? Engine swap on the 80 or ?

Nothing Land Cruiser related, or even Toyota for that matter. I have no plans to swap the 80. It's not fast, but it
just runs good, even at 240k.

I'm looking at swapping a 5.3 LM7 into a 04 Discovery. Just trying to make sure I understand what is needed so they don't black flag me at an emissions test.

I looked into this recently.

The only factor I found that could impact title and registration, located here, would be the emissions test.

The emissions test in turn requires that emissions meet standards applicable during the model year of the vehicle. See this. It says, "Vehicles will be required to meet emissions standards established for the year the vehicle was manufactured."

So, unless I'm missing something (and I certainly may be), as long as you pass emissions, you're good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom