Engine swap and regs in Reno (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No-one mentioned here that all you have to do is register as a classic vehicle...more than 25 years old and drive less than 2000 miles a year. If your odometer is not working I dont see how anyone will know how many miles were driven including yourself.

There is also classic rod registration...

That is basically what I understood.

Classic Vehicle: 25 years or older, UNMODIFIED, 5k or less/yr

Classic Rod: 20 years or older, mods OK, 5k or less/yr

Bumping this old thread again.

I'm just starting an engine swap for my '84 FJ60 so I reached out to the Emissions Lab at the local DMV for an update on laws and policies. The guy I dealt with (Jon) was very helpful and shared, what I think is, good news. It might be helpful for someone else here in Washoe County.

The laws regarding engine swaps are changing and they will no longer be limiting us to installing only a motor that was originally offered by the manufacturer of the recipient vehicle for that vehicle. Rather, they will allow a newer motor from a different manufacturer provided it is run with all the original emissions equipment.

I'm installing a GM 5.3l with a 4l60e transmission. He explained that when my swap is complete I would take it to the Emissions Lab and demonstrate what vehicle the motor was originally offered in - presumably by the VIN#. They would then inspect it and test it via the OBDII for emissions compliance. They would also reset all the PCM monitors at that time and provide me a 10 day moving permit. The idea then is that I drive it and get all the systems to reset normally and return to the DMV to prove everything is functioning correctly. If this happens they wave their magic wand, issue the appropriate stickers, declarations etc. and I get to register it as any other vehicle from that time on.

Adding all the emissions stuff certainly raises the complexity of the swap. They're still offering the 'classic' plates as an option for people. For me I think it's worth it to run the emissions equipment so I'm not limited to the number of miles I can drive each year and my rig will be a daily driver.

Hope this info helps someone thinking about an engine swap.

-Ed

If that is TRUE, that's GREAT NEWS for cruiser folk that wanna get rid of those GUTLESS F motors!!
In my 40, it wasn't an issue (so much) even though they tried to MAKE an issue... That's is why I am leery about the info and what one guy says.

If that is TRUE, that's GREAT NEWS for cruiser folk that wanna get rid of those GUTLESS F motors!!
In my 40, it wasn't an issue (so much) even though they tried to MAKE an issue... That's is why I am leery about the info and what one guy says.

Agree with you about getting different answers depending on who you talk to down there. This has been my previous experience with them also.

It was always my plan with the Vortec to do an emissions legal swap. I have long believed NV emissions laws will eventually come to mirror California's and some day I could register it normally, without mileage restrictions. Crazy to think that NV, or at least certain counties in NV, are more restrictive in this way than CA.

Anyway, got my fingers crossed that in 2 months or so they guys at the Emissions Lab are in a good mood!

In order to keep from having to go to the chassis dyno tests like Komiefonia, Nevada made a deal with the Feds and part of it was motor swap rules. That is why you are getting the 82 and newer and had to be offered in the chassis. It makes no sense but it was to try and keep from having the same smog test rules as California put into effect.

Ways around it.. (legal disclaimer) please check with legal council and know your laws these are possible alternatives....

Register it out of Washoe county and then it doesn't matter as you don't have to smog it and if you ever do it will be grandfathered...
Or we are close enough register it legally in California/Utah/Oregon and then bring it into Nevada then its grandfathered..
More than one way to skin a cat....

In order to keep from having to go to the chassis dyno tests like Komiefonia, Nevada made a deal with the Feds and part of it was motor swap rules. That is why you are getting the 82 and newer and had to be offered in the chassis. It makes no sense but it was to try and keep from having the same smog test rules as California put into effect.

Ways around it.. (legal disclaimer) please check with legal council and know your laws these are possible alternatives....

Register it out of Washoe county and then it doesn't matter as you don't have to smog it and if you ever do it will be grandfathered...
Or we are close enough register it legally in California/Utah/Oregon and then bring it into Nevada then its grandfathered..
More than one way to skin a cat....

If I ever got around to having to do this and did decide to go with something other than the 12H-T or 3B (or some variant) I would probably "sell" it to a family member in CA to register as the new fuel type for a short period of time and then "purchase" it back from them after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom