Engine Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello,

You have the 2L-T engine. Notice that it is the JDM 2L-TE engine that is prone to failure and needs a number of tweaks/modifications to operate reliably.

The 2L-T is a reliable engine. Provided you stick to the maintenance plan and allow the turbo to cool down, it will supply years of reliable service. If it is not broken, do not fix it.

What is the mileage on your engine?

A convenient swap is another L Series engine, such as the 3L or 5L. Not much fabrication is necessary.

You can also go big and opt for a Cummins 2.8, assuming your pockets are big enough, if you want it properly done.

I would leave the 2L-T alone, keep up with the maintenance and get parts (such as a head) for a repair way down the road.

Juan

Hello,

You have the 2L-T engine. Notice that it is the JDM 2L-TE engine that is prone to failure and needs a number of tweaks/modifications to operate reliably.

The 2L-T is a reliable engine. Provided you stick to the maintenance plan and allow the turbo to cool down, it will supply years of reliable service. If it is not broken, do not fix it.

A convenient swap is another L Series engine, such as the 3L or 5L. Not much fabrication is necessary.

You can also go big and opt for a Cummins 2.8, assuming your pockets are big enough, if you want it properly done.

I would leave the 2L-T alone, keep up with the maintenance and get parts (such as a head) for a repair way down the road.

Juan
Hello,

Juan
Thank you for the input. I appreciate it as I am definitely not an expert.

Thank you for the input. I appreciate it as I am definitely not an expert.
5l motor is a easy swap and pretty reliable, done it on mine and its pretty much bolt up and go. Have to fit a oil drain in sump for the turbo and swap flywheels and maybe use the 2lt sump to clear the sway bar but that was about it from memory. I know of a turbo 5le making 190whp in a hilux

If it ever came down to having to do an engine replacement on a LJ73, the first engine that comes to my mind is the R2.8, especially after seeing how happy @Bogan is with his own in a much larger platform, a troopy.

Such a solid unit. 200HP/400FTLB tune coming soon to mine but even stock moves the 75 like no Toyota diesel I've ever owned (12HT/1HDT). Plus it weighs 400lbs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom