Engine Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. Wondered what the rough cost is to have my 2LT replaced with a different motor. Also, what motor would you recommend? I want to keep it diesel.

If it's that LJ73, your options are limited without major work.

What are your usage plans for the vehicle?
As a daily driver and for short road trips. My wife wants to use it as a daily driver. We don’t mind having major work done. We plan on keeping it indefinitely.

Do you ever get over to the Augusta area? Car Corner is in Aiken SC and they not only have a strong selection of 70 series, but when I visited their showroom a few months back they converting some Cruisers with H series diesels. They would not do the conversion for you, but you might make connections to someone in the region that is importing what you might want (need) and could potentially share advice that could help shape your decisions.

Good luck

Building a new more drivable 2LT with a manual trans would be much less complicated and less expensive
than switching to a new type of engine. The 2lt can be pumped up quit a bit and would be a natural fit for your rig.
just sayin.

As a daily driver and for short road trips. My wife wants to use it as a daily driver.
What's wrong with that 2LT for that application? What exactly should a different engine improve?
If the truck is that good to be worth keeping and preserving, keeping it original and rebuilding it may even add to the asset.
Cheers Ralf

What's wrong with that 2LT for that application? What exactly should a different engine improve?
If the truck is that good to be worth keeping and preserving, keeping it original and rebuilding it may even add to the asset.
Cheers Ralf
it’s in amazing condition. I’ll check into a rebuild.

You should rebuild, pretty easy to find parts because that engine was sold in the US. Hard part will be a cylinder head but still you can find it.
What is the problem? is it running?
It does have the same motor mounts for a 22R engine.
I'm in Knoxville as well.

You should rebuild, pretty easy to find parts because that engine was sold in the US. Hard part will be a cylinder head but still you can find it.
Yes. It runs. It’s just never had an overhaul or rebuild. I want to make sure I’ve done everything possible to make it as reliable as possible.

Yes. It runs. It’s just never had an overhaul or rebuild. I want to make sure I’ve done everything possible to make it as reliable as possible.
Actually we met at the 70 series meet and greet in Windrock.
Your LJ73 looks pretty clean, if it doesn't have issue I will leave it alone. Most common issue with the 2LT is cracked head, this happens when overheat. It could be many things. You could have a bad turbo, vacuum pump or piping issues, bad injectors, clutch fan, etc.
It's hard to find the root of your problem until you start replacing or fixing parts.

If it ever came down to having to do an engine replacement on a LJ73, the first engine that comes to my mind is the R2.8, especially after seeing how happy @Bogan is with his own in a much larger platform, a troopy.

If you do need to replace the cylinder head
Dont buy from Quantico. I bought one of their ready to go heads. The price was very good but the looked like it had been pulled out of the reject dumpster. I took it to a local
Head rebuilder before I installed it and it still failed after about 1500 miles.
The head I am currently running came from
Mr Cylinder Head in Australia. $1250 AUD
Complete with bolts and gaskets. Everything was set up to proper spec and was ready to bolt on with no additional prep.

I've been running the OEM Toyota upgraded 2lte head (replacement part number for original) for 10 years now with no problems. I daily drive it and tow a big trailer in summer. I recommend OEM as a good option.

I've been running the OEM Toyota upgraded 2lte head (replacement part number for original) for 10 years now with no problems. I daily drive it and tow a big trailer in summer. I recommend OEM as a good option.
Yes. I agree OEM is the best option. I tried to get an oem head for mine after the cheep knok off one broke but due to Covid, I guess, I could not find one.. same with injector pumps.

Yes. I agree OEM is the best option. I tried to get an oem head for mine after the cheep knok off one broke but due to Covid, I guess, I could not find one.. same with injector pumps.

Readily available from any Toyota dealership worldwide.

Last edited:
Actually we met at the 70 series meet and greet in Windrock.
Your LJ73 looks pretty clean, if it doesn't have issue I will leave it alone. Most common issue with the 2LT is cracked head, this happens when overheat. It could be many things. You could have a bad turbo, vacuum pump or piping issues, bad injectors, clutch fan, etc.
It's hard to find the root of your problem until you start replacing or fixing parts.
Thanks. I am taking it in to have the turbo checked this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom