Engine purchasing HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I posted in the chit chat that I am intending to get a new engine in the next year for my cruiser and it seems for the little response I got a 4.3 chev is a good way to go. Now design311 stated that the 4.3>700R4>J3 would be a good choice. Now are there different 4.3 and if so what is the difference? Going to look at an engine tomorrow. Some dad financed his sons project vehicle and has this rebuilt 4.3 in his garage, but son doesn't have the cash to continue and dad wants the space back more than the engine. I will check back here tomorrow before I make an offer on it if it seems to be in good shape(don't worry I will take someone with more engine experience than myself(who am i kiddin, a coconut has more engine experience than i do)) Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Eternal Forever.

TBI or TPI 4.3 is a nice choice....IIRC, 1988 and newer with the fuel injection. Make sure you get a COMPLETE and ORIGINAL wiring harness with ALL the factory sensors and stuff intact. If they redid the motor and opted to "trim" some of the sensors they felt were not needed you might be in for a hassle getting it to run correctly.

TBI rocks - quite simple....I'd never go carb again.

OK so I checked it out and it is from an 87 van. It has what they call a cross fire injection system. It has been sittin for 5 years but is all complete. There is a 700r 4 speed auto with it but I would like to keep my 3 speed.He wants $260(USD)for it the engine alone. Is this a good buy or would it be better to keep the search going?

Eternal

ANd what is TBI and TPI. I have been scrolling through endless sights about 4.3 but everything expects that I should know what I am doing. I admit that I don't so please help educate me.

Thanks

Eternal

It has what they call a cross fire injection system.

AKA cease-fire injection because it never works. I thought the "cross fire" was only used on the early C4 corvette and camaros, however I could be wrong. If the engine is out of an 87 van, I think it's a normal TBI engine.

So if it is TBI as it probably is and has all the sensors and wiring as it has, and has never been rebuilt, and has about 60,000 miles on it, and has been siting for 6 years, and is about $260(usd),and is 87, would it be something that you would be into purchasing? So basically would I be a doughead to pass this up?

Eternal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom