Engine Priming (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I'm about to fire up a brand new 1FZ-FE I completed rebuilding and was looking to confirm the engine priming procedures. I have seen mixed anecdotes about engine priming so opinions are welcome.

My plan was to pull the fuel pump relay and distributor wire then crank the engine for about 20 seconds, let the starter cool and repeat another 2-3 times to prime the engine and oil pump. Once complete, reconnect and prime the fuel pump, and then attempt to fully start. This would be followed by a break-in procedure.

Thoughts on the plan and or opinion of priming?

-Joe

Hello,

I'm about to fire up a brand new 1FZ-FE I completed rebuilding and was looking to confirm the engine priming procedures. I have seen mixed anecdotes about engine priming so opinions are welcome.

My plan was to pull the fuel pump relay and distributor wire then crank the engine for about 20 seconds, let the starter cool and repeat another 2-3 times to prime the engine and oil pump. Once complete, reconnect and prime the fuel pump, and then attempt to fully start. This would be followed by a break-in procedure.

-Joe
As long as you followed the FSM on adding oil to the pump during assembly, that should be good. I follow your procedure there until I see oil pressure. Then I repeat a couple times. Then let’r rip.

Hello,

-Joe
I'm going to be locked up in the MUD dog house...
My fuel line was bone dry. It took at least 30 seconds to get fuel to the injectors. I followed the FSM for priming the oil pump, liberally used assembly lubricant (and grease), so I turned the key and fired it up.
I gotta say, hearing that engine smoothly run from the get go ranks pretty high on my accomplishment list.
May it be the same for you.
Please visit me in the doghouse some time.

Based on the replies, and your post, I can't tell if you're asking about priming the fuel system or the engine oil system, or both.

If you're asking about oil, follow the FSM for reassembling the engine; FWIW the pump is self priming. If you're asking about priming the fuel system, don't bother. Just turn the key; it'll take care of itself.

Based on the replies, and your post, I can't tell if you're asking about priming the fuel system or the engine oil system, or both.

If you're asking about oil, follow the FSM for reassembling the engine; FWIW the pump is self priming. If you're asking about priming the fuel system, don't bother. Just turn the key; it'll take care of itself.

Priming the oil, I followed the FSM and dumped a shot glass full or whatever ml it mentioned of oil on assembly. Used engine assembly lube on crank, cams, etc. I figured the fuel would sort itself out.

Whenever I start one of my 80's that's been sitting a few weeks (or months) I follow the procedures mentioned above.

If you're super-concerned there's always this option:

you can always remove the spark plugs for priming oil pressure as well - your starter motor & battery would appreciate it.
A bit more work but that's what I used to do on Mazda Rotaries years ago.....cause rebuilds were frequent !

be great if you video it as well for all to see the 1st startup

Thanks Everyone!

A couple of teaser photos. Just a few minor things to finish buttoning up.

IMG_7095.jpg

IMG_7111.jpg

IMG_7169.jpg

Just wanted to follow up and thank everyone. Priming went well and it fired right up after. Got the timing done and ran a couple heat cycles to get fluids in spec.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom