Engine Interchange For A 2008 LandCruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 08 LC decide to lose all of it's oil on the highway so I am hunting down for a replacement. All the junkyards say 08-10 lc/lx will work. Their computer system says that 10+ are not interchangeable. What is the reasoning for this? Can I make a 10+ work? What is different about them?

If you put in 2010 for this one listing on ebay, it says it will not work https://www.ebay.com/itm/1543893461...fits=Year:2008|Model:Land+Cruiser|Make:Toyota

Also look at tundra 5.7’s as well. I’m no expert but I think you need to transfer some items off the LC motor onto the tundra to make it work but it is doable? May be wrong on that. There are some threads on this if you search.
Curios as to how many miles you had on the 08? Root cause of failure? Have an 08 myself at 252k. Good luck.

You might want to get it rebuilt. You keep your original engine. Probably depends on the area and whether there are good shops around. We have a shop around here that rebuilds better than new. Aircraft engines are rebuilt all the time.

Also look at tundra 5.7’s as well. I’m no expert but I think you need to transfer some items off the LC motor onto the tundra to make it work but it is doable? May be wrong on that. There are some threads on this if you search.
Curios as to how many miles you had on the 08? Root cause of failure? Have an 08 myself at 252k. Good luck.
From what I read, the blocks are made differently. Land Cruisers got some sort of special treatment.

I have 228k. It had an oil leak that was a small drip. I was driving it to my mechanic to diagnose it. It lost all the oil on the highway. Owned it for 1 day :(

When it's replaced ill see how it failed
You might want to get it rebuilt. You keep your original engine. Probably depends on the area and whether there are good shops around. We have a shop around here that rebuilds better than new. Aircraft engines are rebuilt all the time.
Is that possible to rebuild an engine that ran without oil? It's seized. I know a replacement engine is 4-5k.

I always thought that rebuilt engines never lasted as long as engines that were never opened up. No matter what it will never be built to OEM specifications. I have bad experience with rebuilt engines. My Mitsubishi evolution engine lasted me 100 miles because the rod bearings were not torqued down correctly.

I wouldn't mind putting in a newer a Land Cruiser engine if I could get it to work because I plan on keeping my 2008 forever.

I mean a real rebuilder. They are out there, hopefully in your area. A shop around here rebuilds dragster engines for a guy.

Ask around, there are plenty of good shops. It’s not difficult and you get your original engine usually with a warranty. The cost is comparable to a good replacement engine.

to be clear I am not talking about jasper engines or any other chain operation. You want it done right for the Cruiser.

Ps the guys that rebuild the engine would do the autopsy for you. 🤓

From what I read, the blocks are made differently. Land Cruisers got some sort of special treatment.

I have 228k. It had an oil leak that was a small drip. I was driving it to my mechanic to diagnose it. It lost all the oil on the highway. Owned it for 1 day :(
That really stinks!
I’d be interested in reading about the special treatment Tundra engines are missing out on.

If you have a good mechanic that is comfortable swapping engines he should be comfortable swapping any external components from old LC engine to new Tundra engine. I don’t have a LC and Tundra engine here to reference but typically things like oil pan and oil pump pickup, front dressing, other bracketery are unique to models but the engine underneath all that should be the same. Now I’m not sure about variable valve timing or other sensors, but your mechanic, if he is good, should have no problem making a tundra engine work.

good luck and this really does suck. Did you buy it from a dealer?

Plenty of tundras are running just fine with very very high mileage. Even if a 200 got some special sauce I’d have no problem putting a tundra engine that looked clean under the valve covers into my cruiser if it needed one. In fact I’d trust that engine more than most rebuilds.. toyota hits a quality standard that is very difficult to reproduce without their resources, unless you spend an extraordinary amount of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom