Engine Crooked in Frame After Engine Swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gimme a 60

I Forgot About the Women!
SILVER Star
Threads
Hi guys.

I swapped in a 3B into my 62 today. The motor mounts were cut and welded in by me. The engine landed right where it should be, however it is VERY crooked.

From what I have read on here, it’s normal.

However, I want to be 100% sure it’s okay… does anybody know if this is acceptable? How do I know of the engine is too crooked!

The engine also doesn’t seem to sit flat.

Any help is appreciated.

42E03D14-EDD5-4769-8A23-F854B44A1A1E.jpeg

6C7AAD4D-5655-4FDB-9C54-C5C4B076F64D.jpeg

7BE3C95B-3B46-4DC8-BE3B-5FB31C44143A.jpeg

5A6CAA92-9AFD-43BD-9258-D824A003877F.jpeg

my 3b doesnt sit flat, its between 5-10 deg out of level maybe, not sure about crooked tho
when i built my turbo manifold i made the turbo flange on the same plane as the manifold front to back and after mounting everything up on the engine i could tell the turbo drain wasnt facing 90 deg straight down

See if you can mount up the fan shroud temporarily. Should give you an indication of whether it’s sitting correctly or not.
Measuring for the motor mounts is good for double checking things, but not great for actually locating the mounts accurately. Better to make jigs to locate things on the old frame, and use the same jigs to place them again.

Also take a look at some old pictures if you have any to see how close to the firewall it was in the donor truck.

EDIT: The Canadian BJ60’s used the 3 piece transmission crossmember, which was not ‘clocked’ or twisted like the later 1-piece cross member. Which would suggest to me the engine should sit straight in the chassis. I know the 2H sits crooked, but that’s the later tranny support.

See if you can mount up the fan shroud temporarily. Should give you an indication of whether it’s sitting correctly or not.
Measuring for the motor mounts is good for double checking things, but not great for actually locating the mounts accurately. Better to make jigs to locate things on the old frame, and use the same jigs to place them again.

Also take a look at some old pictures if you have any to see how close to the firewall it was in the donor truck.

EDIT: The Canadian BJ60’s used the 3 piece transmission crossmember, which was not ‘clocked’ or twisted like the later 1-piece cross member. Which would suggest to me the engine should sit straight in the chassis. I know the 2H sits crooked, but that’s the later tranny support.

Dang.

I’m using a ‘85 bell housing, it’s clocked. I hope it fits on my ‘84 cross member- I may have to modify it.

Steve told me they aren’t supposed to be strait.

I remember very well that the engine was SUPER close the the firewall from factory. In that aspect it should be fine.

But the Engine is so crooked!

Well if you're using the clocked bellhousing, then a crooked engine sounds right.

I don't think this logic is correct. The engine is mounted irrespective of the bellhousing and transmission used. Leveled BHs and flat transmission mounts are used with H42 transmissions. The clocked BHs are mated to H55F transmissions utilizing a transmission mount that accounts for the BH clocking.

If it helps I just posted some pics of angles of how the 2h sits in a hj75, 2h into fj75 post in 70 section. The engine does tilt backwards about 4 -5 degrees and the front is slightly pointing to the left front on the 2h from factory in a hj75, very subtle. The rocker cover is very close to firewall and cab heater hoses, so just a little little painfull when adjusting valve lash putting rocker cover back on/off.

I have been told many engines are slightly askew in many vehicles.

I read of a fellow fitting a 2h but had a 3f bell into a 70 ,which did not sit right on cross mem.2 so driveshafts did not line up once the gearbox and trans was on...had all sorts of trouble erm..challenges.

As was said before, the fan shroud shall tell you much. Fiddling to mount bell to cross member doesn't sound fun. Also how your gear stick enters your cab has to be considered, but there are some builds on here where folks have made their own gear stick cover plate.

60's are wider than 70's, so mounts would be different angles and lengths. I believe the 3b came in your bj7's your part of the woods, so bj mounts maybe appropriate. Maybe it is ok as it is.

Sorry if you know this already. Looks like a nice job. If you look at redrocket's build in the 70 section , he has lots of adventures fitting an isuzu engine into a bj. Yours looks much more doable.

I don't think this logic is correct. The engine is mounted irrespective of the bellhousing and transmission used. Leveled BHs and flat transmission mounts are used with H42 transmissions. The clocked BHs are mated to H55F transmissions utilizing a transmission mount that accounts for the BH clocking.
You could be right. I was extending my experience with my 2H, that uses the clocked BH. The 2H sits crooked, so I would have assumed the 3B would as well - they're both getting bolted up to the same BH.

Either way - as I mentioned before I think putting the fan shroud in place would give a good indication if the location is good.

You could be right. I was extending my experience with my 2H, that uses the clocked BH. The 2H sits crooked, so I would have assumed the 3B would as well - they're both getting bolted up to the same BH.

Either way - as I mentioned before I think putting the fan shroud in place would give a good indication if the location is good.

Fan shroud appears to fit nicely.

I’m putting the trans on today to see if everything lines up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom