Emergency flashers will not turn off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there are several threads that discuss similar issues but can't find an exact solution.
All of a sudden I am getting some weird things going on. First I noticed the security light on even with the key in ignition and driving. The light should be out at this time. Next, the emergency flashers came on. I tried to turn them off and switch would not do anything. Even stopping the car, turning it off and removing key would not make them stop flashing. I then pulled the fuse to turn signal and emergency flashers. At least I got flashers to stop but lost turn signals. Got home and I disconnected the battery, replaced the fuse and let it sit for a while. I then hooked the battery backup and everything seemed OK. Then later in the evening after being parked with the key out of the ignition, the flashers came on all by themselves and I could not turn them off so I had to disconnect the battery again. At different times I also get a dim door open signal as well as a dim security dash light or both. The cabin lights over passenger seats flash wildly as well. It acts like it thinks the alarm is armed and a door or some other form of intrusion has tripped the alarm and has caused the flashing lights, but I do not get any horn blaring. Horn is functional when I hit the panic button. So the horn is functional.
I have read that a poorly sealed windshield after being replaced can allow water to dribble down interior and cause a moisture short. I have had the windshield replaced but that was over a year ago. This is one possibility as I do have some evidence of this. Another possibility can be blocked or leaking sunroof drains. I removed the fuse to the anti-theft device on the passenger side fuse block with the fuse to the emergency flasher and turn signals in place and the flashing did not stop.
The only thing that works for the flashers is pulling the fuse, but others issues like the flashing of the interior cabin lights continue.
This is driving me crazy. There is nothing worse than electrical gremlins.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sounds like water ingress to me. Has it rained in your area recently? Carwash?

I had all kinds of electrical issues caused by a clogged sunroof drain. I was ready to set my truck on fire and roll it on a frozen lake.
Once dried all was well, after I fixed the clog that is.

Sounds like water ingress to me. Has it rained in your area recently? Carwash?

I had all kinds of electrical issues caused by a clogged sunroof drain. I was ready to set my truck on fire and roll it on a frozen lake.
Once dried all was well after I fixed the clog that is.

I would expect to see some water at or around sunroof on the interior if drains were clogged. There is no evidence of this. I guess it is possible that there is a leak in the drain though. I have seen some evidence of water running down the interior of the windshield on the passenger side. Seems like moisture is getting to wiring on that side and causing issues.
The windshield was installed by a reputable installer, however, we used an aftermarket windshield. Does anyone know if you can buy a factory windshield for these anymore? Would there be that much difference or do you think this is just a poor job of installation and not caused by the windshield fabrication?

By the way, how did you unclog drain from sunroof? Might as well inspect and perform preventive maintenance.

I would expect to see some water at or around sunroof on the interior if drains were clogged. There is no evidence of this. I guess it is possible that there is a leak in the drain though. I have seen some evidence of water running down the interior of the windshield on the passenger side. Seems like moisture is getting to wiring on that side and causing issues.
The windshield was installed by a reputable installer, however, we used an aftermarket windshield. Does anyone know if you can buy a factory windshield for these anymore? Would there be that much difference or do you think this is just a poor job of installation and not caused by the windshield fabrication?

By the way, how did you unclog drain from sunroof? Might as well inspect and perform preventive maintenance.

I had zero signs of water ingress too. Only found it by pouring water down the drain, none came out the bottom, it all backed up, leaked past the connection at the sunroof frame and ran down the side of the tubing and dripped onto a computer behind the passenger kick panel.

Compressed air. Using a air nozzle, stick it a few inches past the connector at the sunroof frame, then using short bursts of air you clear the clog, then rinse with water.

There is are four nipples on the sunroof frame, two front, two back, the drain tube is one piece that runs from the sunroof to the bottom of the truck. One tube for each drain.
If you don't get past the connection at the sunroof your compressed air can force it off of the nipple.

If it is the windshield if it probably because of rust. You can get OE glass but it'll cost you and makes no difference. Aftermarket is just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom