Embarrassing Story... I need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll tell you this story to my own embarrassment... Unknown to me the gasket on the oil pan didn't seal when I changed the oil. After 3 months of sitting, I fired her up. Oil pressure light on the dash. I thought maybe the pressure sensor was stuck and I'd let it run for 30 seconds to see if it went out. 30 seconds later she seized up and now I can't get it to bar over with the starter.

I can't get a breaker bar on the front of the crank easily. I'd have to remove the radiator, maybe the fan, and/or make a tool to do the job.

Does anyone want to give me their guess as to whether I need to do a full rebuild? My last-ditch effort I was thinking about towing it across the parking lot, putting it in 5th, and dropping the clutch to try to bar it over. Do I have a better chance of breaking it free or am I just gonna do more damage?

I'm open to ideas. Empty the oil and fill it to the brim with pb blaster for a few days? Crack the injectors and try to bar it over?

Thanks for the advice. I'm not ready to give up on her yet. If I have to tow it somewhere to get it rebuilt I will.

If you’re already prepared to rebuild it, get some oil down the cylinders and work it over. I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything though. So you redid the oil pan gasket and it didn’t seal. Was there 4 quarts of oil under the truck or did the oil line not get attached to the sump?

I unseized an engine once by filling it completely with oil, and i mean COMPLETELY to the top of the valve cover. let it sit in the sun for a day or so. Then drained the oil down to the correct level and let it sit another day. Then removed the spark plugs, put a breaker bar on the crank and tried moving back and forth. Next part you should do differently if you try this.... don't hit the starter until after you have pulled the oil out of the cylinders. its going to smoke if it works, hopefully it stops after a while.

There's a half moon section on the bottom of the fan shroud that you can remove, and you'll have plenty of room to put a breaker bar on the crank nut. Just don't leave it the and hit the starter, or you have to retighten it.

Pull all the plugs. Put a couple tablespoons of ATF or MMO down in each cylinder and let it soak for a day or so. I've also heard of using Coca-Cola in each cylinder, the weak phosphoric acid will sometimes work, but that's only if there's rust in the bores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom