Electronic whine at 70+ MPH with throttle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curious.. did you say front & rear diff fluid has been changed along with transfer case? Not that new fluid would fix but curious about abnormal wear. You may want to pull the fuse for the amplifier as well to rule out speakers

Removed the 30A amp fuse and the issue persists.

About 95% certain it's gear whine at this point.

What are you thinking of next steps? Fluid change in front diff, rear diff, TC, and AT at staged times to see if any slight change in whine to perhaps narrow down.

Wonder if any auto stethoscope options while vehicle is on a rack?

What are you thinking of next steps? Fluid change in front diff, rear diff, TC, and AT at staged times to see if any slight change in whine to perhaps narrow down.

Wonder if any auto stethoscope options while vehicle is on a rack?

Right now the plan is to live with it. I had transfer case and diff fluids changed at 75,000 miles and it didn't seem to make a difference. Going in for my 80,000 mile oil change soon, may have them do A/T fluid then and see if it makes a difference.

Not sure if a fluid change will help but it's about time for the A/T fluid anyway. Probably won't hurt, might help!

IMO: I'd highly recommend an AT fluid change .. the 460 ATs run hot and fluid is likely already pretty dark. Only AT cooler on stock 10-21 460 is one in radiator... 20-21 with off-road package has external AT cooler

Resurrecting to see if anyone has any updates. After prowling some Tacoma forums, reading some rants and watching their videos, it's really sounding like the noise I'm hearing is diff howl/resonance. Toyota chalks it up as "normal." It afflicts a lot of late model Tacomas and drives some guys crazy. I suppose one's sensitivity to it depends on how good their high frequency hearing is.

At its worst the howl sounds like a high pitched tuning fork. It was on my mind today because I went on a long road trip this weekend and spent a lot of time listening to it howl on the highway cruising in that peak annoying range of 68-75 MPH.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: r2m
Resurrecting to see if anyone has any updates. After prowling some Tacoma forums, reading some rants and watching their videos, it's really sounding like the noise I'm hearing is diff howl/resonance. Toyota chalks it up as "normal." It afflicts a lot of late model Tacomas and drives some guys crazy. I suppose one's sensitivity to it depends on how good their high frequency hearing is.

At its worst the howl sounds like a high pitched tuning fork. It was on my mind today because I went on a long road trip this weekend and spent a lot of time listening to it howl on the highway cruising in that peak annoying range of 68-75 MPH.
Wait a few years and the noise won't bother you! I used to be able to hear that recording that they call "Mosquito Buzz" that only young people can hear.
Now that I'm older, can't hear it at all now!

Thanks for posting this, I just started to notice this on my GX 460 2013. I have been doing all of the maintenance trying to slowly track it down. My sounds like it is more on top of the engine on the passenger side though.

I have it in both my Tacoma and the GX. Tacoma had it since day one from the factory and the GX had it after re-gear and locker install… very faint whine from the rear diff while feathering the throttle at around 55 in the Tacoma and 65 in the GX… MTs fixed it on the Tacoma.

I have it in both my Tacoma and the GX. Tacoma had it since day one from the factory and the GX had it after re-gear and locker install… very faint whine from the rear diff while feathering the throttle at around 55 in the Tacoma and 65 in the GX… MTs fixed it on the Tacoma.
Sorry novice here. MTs? A tire?

Update on this for posterity. Took the GX to a good mechanic who test drove and replicated the noise, then put it on a lift, applied throttle to replicate the sound again, then used ChassisEar to narrow it down to the front differential.

Verdict - worn pinion gear.

All the front diffs in area salvage yards are higher mileage than mine (91k), so he's going to look into getting a rebuild kit for mine. We'll see how it goes, will update once the issue is resolved. If anyone else is having this same issue - and a few of you with '12-'13 GXs are out there - take a look at the front diff.

Posting to say that this issue has been officially resolved. Replaced the front diff (41110-3D432) and the annoying whine is gone. Rides and sounds great on the highway! Replacing the diff was the most expensive option, but it was also the quickest and surest way to solve it. If the rebuild kit would not have resolved the issue, the cost to open it back up to troubleshoot it further would have caused the project to exceed the cost of a new diff, so weighing the odds, I opted to go the new diff route.

Good luck to everyone else who tries the rebuild route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom