Electrical issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay guys hopefully you can help.
My 79 is having electrical issues as in, not enough juice from battery to start the engine. When jumped she starts right up and purrs. If I take her for a highway drive of say 15 minutes and it shows 14V on the voltmeter, when I shut her off and try to start it I just get the clicking from the starter which I can see tapping the flywheel. There is a .75 amp parasitic draw on the battery but my tacoma has a similar draw and no issues. The motor is a chevy 350 V8 and I know the previous owner recently add a second fan to the radiator. Also has a cheap battery but not sure how to tell if battery is bad or there is a ground issue.

Any thoughts are appreciated, open to answering questions if more info needed.

Thanks,
Trevor

Hmmm...Take the battery and have it fully charged, then load tested. They will do this for free at most auto stores. Then find and get rid of the .75 amp draw. That is a LOT of draw over several days. Also you can't expect a dead battery to charge after just 15 minutes of driving. At least it appears to be charging.

If the battery is good then you are looking at a bad starter. If it works fine cold but not when it is hot, replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom