Electrical guru needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep

GOLD Star
Threads
My 80 project just came back from the body shop with no working rear turn signals. Front signals, brake lights, reverse lights and everything else works. Fuse and relay are both fine. Ground is good. The rear bumper was replaced and so it may be something under the truck with the the trailer hookup wiring. I'll test the harness where it splits to left and right sides this weekend but short of that I'm not sure what else to look for.

I've got a $250 4wheel parts gift card for anyone good at electrical willing to bring their multimeter (or use mine) and find the fault.

Last edited:
Spent another 2 hours chasing my tail on this. Can anyone at least recommend a shop that will chase down electrical gremlins? My usual go to is ignoring me since I mentioned its electrical. I'll up the ante of the $250 gift card to the card and cash or high dollar booze of your choice if someone can solve this. Its very possible its something easy I'm over looking. The body shop didn't go under the hood or interior. It has to be related to the removal of the bumpers and repaint.

Last edited:
what sort of body work did you have done?

My father in law has had good luck with chapel hill tire for numerous electrical issues on his jeep (crazy squirrels eating the wiring insulation).

I could swing by one evening this week and see if a second set of eyes would help.

It was just an exterior repaint.

I'll check with Chapel Hill Tire and thanks for the offer, will let you know . I may take you up on it. I'm sure you're better with a multimeter than me.

have you removed the tail light assembly or removed the panel and checked the cable connector ( i think the signal come down the drivers light (see red arrow) then heads over to the pass side). they might have not been familiar and inadvertently disconnected the rear light harness.

1667866993225.png

Last edited:
I'll dig that out tonight and check it. Very helpful diagram, is that from the FSM?

I'm suspecting the same thing Eric was thinking. For a repaint, the tail lights usually come out (but not always). They could have contaminated the plugs with paint, blew the bulbs by not disconnecting the battery first, or inadvertently pulled something apart while removing those or the rear bumper. The wiring back there on my 80 was super brittle.

Just out of curiosity, do the front blinkers blink extra fast like they would with a rear bulb out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom