Electric Fan Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pathfinder

I am the STIG
Threads
I searched and came up empty. Does anyone have information on how to do an electric fan swap. I've read about using a taures or contour fan assembly however I am not much good with wiring etc and would like a write up or some advice before I go spending $$$. I am unclear how the relay and thermostat all work together

i just want some more consistent cooling. Advice and insights would be most apperciated. Thanks

Hey, I have been thinking about doing this to my cruiser as well as my 73 roadrunner for the added hp and more even (in my opinion) cooling.

By day I'm a VW guy and have noticed that some of the big time classic car guys around here started using twin fan setups from Scirocco VWs. It's pretty smart, the fans for Roccos are 3 speed and for other water cooled vws are 2. With the 3 speed you get a specific switch that is triggered by voltage movement up or down sent by a sending unit. This is super easy to mock up since the sending unit can sit simply on a hose that you've cut and placed the sending unit inbetween (it's one of those T neck things with the sending unit on the bottom of the t part). Then the fan and sending unit talk and that's all you really have to do other then wire power to the fan.

Once you have all the proper parts, this would be a 1.5 hour endeavor, if you took a 30 minute beer break.

BTW - I haven't done this yet - I'm just lookin' at the parts and can't imagine it'd be tough.

I searched and came up empty. Does anyone have information on how to do an electric fan swap. I've read about using a taures or contour fan assembly however I am not much good with wiring etc and would like a write up or some advice before I go spending $$$. I am unclear how the relay and thermostat all work together

i just want some more consistent cooling. Advice and insights would be most apperciated. Thanks

I detailed my fan conversion in my FJ-62 in thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=126525&highlight=fan starting with post #10. I used a new OEM Ford contour dual fan and Delta Current Control controller for variable (temperature based) fan speed control.

This isn't going to free up much horsepower. Although I did notice some gain (highway speeds going up long moderate grades) I would not make the switch for this reason alone. I run a 180 degree tstat and was looking for more consistent cooling with less of a min/max range.

WAY too complicated. Remove old fan at pulley, and replace with an automatic flush mount electric fan that meets size restrictions. Check out Summit Racing.

looks like I have a fan project in my future! Thanks!!

WAY too complicated. Remove old fan at pulley, and replace with an automatic flush mount electric fan that meets size restrictions. Check out Summit Racing.

I think he gets this part....he just wasn't sure about the wiring of the thermo.

lunyou

Ah yeah. Also check out Painless Wiring (also available at Summit Racing). VERY nice and reasonable priced idiot proof wiring systems for all varieties of dodads!
Let us know how it went!

I think he gets this part....he just wasn't sure about the wiring of the thermo.

lunyou

yeah removing the old pully is the easy part its making sure the fan works when its supposed to. Thats the trick.

Has anyone used the 16in fan that advanced sells? will that work or do I need to get the contour fan b/c it has the shroud?

Ah yeah. Also check out Painless Wiring (also available at Summit Racing). VERY nice and reasonable priced idiot proof wiring systems for all varieties of dodads!
Let us know how it went!

yeah I was leaning towards the painless just because I am a blockhead when it comes to electrical. :doh:

There is no aftermarket fan or fans that can pull 4000cfm or more making the stock Ford Contour dual setup the ticket. The variable speed controller is a must also for fast warm ups and stable water temps. You can pretty much tell by looking at aftermarket fans if they are up to the task or not. The motors wire gauge size is a dead give away.

I just did the Contour DCC controller setup on my 60. While I am yet to start putting miles on the 60 with this setup it was a very easy solution and I can recommend it to anyone. It really is a 2 banana job. The DC controller instructions are very easy to read and understand. My only comment is that ALL of the wireing connections on the DCC harness need to be recrimped before you install because of the type of crimping tool they use. It just doesn't get a good bite on the wires. I ran the truck around the block the other night then let it idle in the driveway until the fans kicked on. I did not yet have a good temp guage hooked up but will be doing more testing to confirm on/off points and the like this weekend.

Also note that for the FJ60/62 series radiator , the Contour fan is nearly an exact fit. I used a couple of pieces of 1"x1" square tube at about 12" long mounted to the stock holes in the radiator to mount the fan. It worked out perfectly and leaves only a versmall gap (1/4" to 3/8") along the bottom of the radiator. The gap is actually perfect for fitting the temp probe from the DCC controller.

Last edited:
Anyone happen to have the dimpnstions on the contour dual fan setup?

no affiliation but have added a couple of these over the years as pushers and have been very happy...........adjustable thermostat and if you get very compulsive you can do a pusher + a puller ; took several hours BUT I changed radiators!.......without that probably an easy 1 hour job

Lou
16" Electric Radiator Fan 3000 CFM w/ Zirgo Temp Switch Item number: 260119450403

I don't mean to throw cold water on the electric fan project, but if everything is working properly, the 60 cooling system is completely adequate for proper cooling except, possibly, under very severe conditions. Not having done the electric fan conversion, I can't vouch for how valuable it might be in terms of freeing up horsepower.

i kept the stock one added another in front of the rad. all i needed to do in order to the fan to suck, rather than blow ,was reverse the blades. worked great but makes no difference normally. its only there if the s*** gets real bad;) .i have a testement, the other day i could have swore i had the switch off:eek: i did, but the oem fan is so strong it turns the aftermarket fan at a high rate of speed:grinpimp:dam i was impressed:cheers:

great write up even if it is for a heep! :)

I don't mean to throw cold water on the electric fan project, but if everything is working properly, the 60 cooling system is completely adequate for proper cooling except, possibly, under very severe conditions. Not having done the electric fan conversion, I can't vouch for how valuable it might be in terms of freeing up horsepower.

I didn't have a cooling problem, but made the change anyway. I did the smog pump idler pully and an eletric fan at the same time. The cooling works the same, no problems so far and easy wiring. The biggest difference for me is the lack of noise coming from the engine area. The idle is so smooth and quiet I have to check the tack to see that it didn't stall. One of the best changes I've made so far...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom