EGT-Values for a Turbodiesel.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning,

I have a old OJ50 Bandeirante (j4-type-Landcruiser) witht he OM314 Diesel Engine from Mercedes.
I bolted a turbo on it (still planning for the intercooler, but not now) and I have a EGT-Indicator between engine and turbine.

The engine has no features, a normal turboengine has, linke cooled valves, piston-cooling (via oil from beneath), etc. Just a classic normal aspirated diesel engine.

To get the benefit of the turbo I cranked up the fuel a little bit and right now I have 85hp on the rear wheel, where 85hp on the engine is stock. I keep the EGT below 650°C. Short term up to 700°C allowed. The turbo makes around 14PSI at full boost and high RPM. Nothing regulated :)

I recently saw some posts here, where people talked and mentioned, not going above 700°C (1200-1300°F) would mean, not full potentail of the engine. So what do you guys think, my engine can deal with? Is there a "kink-point" balancing between lifetime of the engine and power?

Thanks a lot

Michael

Also depends how long your cruising ? Are we talking maintained temps? My truck runs hotter at 1000-1100 cruising 70-75

I tuned my 1hd-t to run at up to 750-800⁰c, and was comfortable pushing it to 900⁰c for short bursts.

Diesel combustion temps are far lower than what a typical gas engine sees day in day out with lighter pistons, basically the same metallurgy, and no oil spray to cool pistons.

I figure most people are unnecessarily conservative with EGTs in a turbo diesel.

Indirect injection engines can run hotter than direct injection. Because the piston bowl in direct injection engines makes the pistons run hotter.

Also depends how long your cruising ? Are we talking maintained temps? My truck runs hotter at 1000-1100 cruising 70-75
My LC is not so fast, usually cruise speed is around 55-60mph, at this speed no issues with the temp. Also going long climbs at that speed, the engines stays below 1000-1100°F. The engine only makes 3000min-1 and feels most comfortable at around 2400. But I'm not pushing it.

It is actually a direct injection engine, but an old one. Those old mercedes engines used to work in little comercial trucks with 7.5t. So I think the engine is used (designed for) to high loads over long time, but without turbo.

My concern is, that this engine was never designed to run with a turbo, I just forced him to do so (and it works well), but pistons, valves, etc. had been never designed for. That doesn't mean, that it is a problem, but I want to stay on the save side.

Thanks a lot guys, I guess I will stay with what I have know, doesn't seem to be so false. The intercooler along with a different pinion-set in the diffs are still on my list.

My 1hdt cruises the highway at 800-1000f and upto 1100-1200f with hills and acceleration.

That’s high but also what I cruise at , I’m in the process of trying to turn her down and run around 800
That's also what I run at pre-turbo. 800F.

It's still WAY MORE power than stock. And it gives me a large safety buffer at the same time.

Last edited:
800f at about 70 on cruise.

I am planning to replace my 315/75/16 with 255/85/16 along with updating the turbo and adding an FMIC this spring.

I’m not worried about it I just wanted to improve things before I tow a small trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom