edelbrock carb problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 350  with a edelbrock 500 4bbl and the stupid thing wont run up a slope or any off camber stuff is there anything I can do to this carb or should I go get a Qjet the carb I have is pretty new so I would like to salvage it . :-[thanks

Edelbrocks and carter AFB are the same carb. They are not designed for off-road use. There are three things to help a little. Spring load the needle and seat. drop the float down and put a dam in the fuel bowl. IT all helps, but the quad or a holly are more suited for offroad. I have the edelbrock 600, upgraded from a holly 450. Throttle is a kick in the butt, but the holly performed better off road.

the last carb I would install is a 4-barrel Holley...tho their new offroadable one is supposed to be nice.

See the tech section for info on tweaking a Carter/Edlebrock - pics included.

The Q-jet or old 2-barrel Holleys are nice offroaders.

I had the same problem and was told "gat a Q-jet". I bought a junkyard Q-jet but is was a "smog model" and learned these were undesirable. Did a bunch of research and got a manual and the right carb, did a rebuild and couldn't get it to run right. The rebuild was beyond my ability- and I think there is a little voodoo involved in carb rebuilding/tuning.

Eventually after much headache I installed the "edelbrock offroad needle" kit in mine and it does OK. The kit is just a spring loaded needle and instructions. It requires some easy carb disassembly and have you to reset the float level. The kit was like $10 from Summit, I don't have a part number handy, but do a search on their site I bet you find it. If not send me a PM I'll see if I can find the part number.

did everything in the tech right up going to paragon saturday to try it out hopefully good :D

It will be better....it is still not as nice as a Q-jet. I switched to the Q-jet about 4 years ago and have liked it more, and including a junkyard carb, the rebuild kit, and getting the baseplate rebushed, it only ran about $100.

Course, now I have TBI...hehehehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom