ECU Part Number by VIN or Build Date (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 OBII Land Cruiser, 300k+.
Recent work has led us to suspect the ECU in our truck is not original. We are looking for a definitive source to cross reference the VIN or Build Date to find the ECU part number that this left the factory with.

Some time ago it threw a code that was supposed to only appear in OBI vehicles, fuel trim I believe it was. It was cleared and never returned but at the time we thought it odd for it to throw a code that everyone swore was not possible.
Thanks, S.

Thanks for the quick response, vehicle not here at the moment. I'll see if I can get the VIN tonight.
S.

JT3HJ85JXT0129226

January 1996 build date, JT3HJ85JXT0129226
I can find no source for ECU Part Number shipped with this vehicle. Any help greatly appreciated.
The three part numbers on most sites for this VIN, in order of supersession(s).
  • 8966160260 (currently in the vehicle, but with salvage yard paint markings)
Maybe it doesn't matter and any of these ECU's can be used, but supersedes usually are NOT forward compatible. I suspect with a 1/96 build and other anomalies, this should have part number 89......61, not 60. Just looking for some confirmation, and if it even matters at all.
Thanks, S.

but supersedes usually are NOT forward compatible

This is not true. Supersedes are usually forward compatible.

I do have a mint condition 89661-60261 ECU on my shelf if you need one..

Edit:
I just checked, and 89661-60261 is the correct, original part number for your truck that it shipped with. It was superseded by 89661-60262.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response @TurboDennis. I was probably not clear:
By backward compatible I mean the most recent part, 89.....062, would back fit/replace both 89....061, and 89....060 without issues. This is my definition of supersede.
By forward compatible I would have just the opposite, 89....060 would fit/replace any future iteration of the same part, in this case 89....061 and 89....062.

I believe we are talking about the same thing, just semantics. If 060 would work in all future applications I'd have to question why Toyota went through all the trouble to create 061 and 062 and the supercession sequences.

But it doesn't matter, thanks for answering my most pressing question on what shipped with this truck, can you share the source of that information?
If anyone can say definitively that it is ok to use an older ECU (or any year) in your truck I think that would be extremely useful to know. Otherwise we are left to search for the exact part number that shipped from Toyota.

I may take you up on the ECU, just let me know what you need for it. Here or PM, either way.
Thanks, S.

Thanks for the quick response @TurboDennis. I was probably not clear:
By backward compatible I mean the most recent part, 89.....062, would back fit/replace both 89....061, and 89....060 without issues. This is my definition of supersede.
By forward compatible I would have just the opposite, 89....060 would fit/replace any future iteration of the same part, in this case 89....061 and 89....062.

I believe we are talking about the same thing, just semantics. If 060 would work in all future applications I'd have to question why Toyota went through all the trouble to create 061 and 062 and the supercession sequences.

But it doesn't matter, thanks for answering my most pressing question on what shipped with this truck, can you share the source of that information?
If anyone can say definitively that it is ok to use an older ECU (or any year) in your truck I think that would be extremely useful to know. Otherwise we are left to search for the exact part number that shipped from Toyota.

I may take you up on the ECU, just let me know what you need for it. Here or PM, either way.
Thanks, S.

Any of the superseded part numbers are usually interchangeable with the original part number, forward and backwards.
1 is added to a part number when a minor revision occurs. Sometimes a small design or material change (not necessarily an improvement, but usually that's the idea). Sometimes a different supplier that was used to manufacture it. Sometimes nothing at all and is just done for some weird internal reasons. @Onur is the expert on this matter and is in a better position to know all the details. But i've never seen a revised part number that was not interchangeable with the earlier revision of that number. Im sure there have been cases like that, but im not aware of any.

My source for what your truck originally shipped with is the official Toyota EPC. Further confirmed by the fact that the ECU that i have offered you came off my personal truck with February 1996 production date, and i know that its original to that truck and has never been replaced.

PM incoming

I probably wouldn't be as concerned except 95/96 production dates also coincides with OBI/OBII change over in the US for most manufacturers.
Thanks, S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom