ebay oddities -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
here's a '94 with 56K on it --

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6443&item=2428950207

This is what confuses me (and what I don't trust) --

THIS VEHICLE HAD ITS ODOMETER REPLACED AT 42,000 MILES IN JUNE OF 1998. THE NEW ODOMETER NOW READS 12,776 MILES. IN REALITY THE VEHICLE DOES HAVE 55,000 TO 57,000 MILES. THE BROKEN ODOMETER WAS REPLACED BY A DEALER AND WE DID RUN CARFAX ON THE VEHICLE, WHICH PROVED THE TRUE MILEAGE IS IN THAT RANGE. THE CONDITION OF THE VEHICLE TRULLY SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Why do odometers normally even get replaced?? They don't seem to "break" too often --

eric

It's pretty sharp looking (minus the brush guard).

In the "old" days of turning back odometers I learned from a car dealer friend to look at the brake and gas pedals for wear. If a lot of wear or new looking then get worried and run.

Probably hard to do with ebay but worth considering.

Nice looking truck.

A couple of red lights for me.
1. Traded into a new car dealer.- I don't know of any new car dealers that do not have a used car lot. A "cherry" like that would definately be kept by the dealer to sell. Make money on the sale of the new car, and make money on the great trade in. Thats winning both ways.
2. NO RESERVE. Come on. If the vehicle is as good as stated a professional seller would not give away potential profit.

Does look nice however, and it has the locking diffs switch.
Sean.

Eric,

The odometer in an 80 series is part of the speedometer head. The head could have been replaced for any number of reasons. There is also a speed sensor internal in the head. If any of those bits in the speedo don't work, the head would require replacement. There should be a repair order record stating why the speedo was replaced. That repair in and of its self is not a poison pill, if it was legit.

oh -- okay dan -- it's just not something you expect to see in such a young non-american car... :)

$12,300 is already too much even with that mileage. Also, why was it average mileage until 1998 then virtually nothing since? averaging about 2,000 per year over 5 years requires an explanation.

Eric,

Agreed, it is not at all common. I sell a small handfull of them a year for the entire lineup. I remember most of the odd stuff I have sold on 80's (because I'm sick) but I don't remember ever doing a speedo head. That doesn't mean that one could not have failed though. Back in '93 I sold a lady the rear floor carpet and tailgate carpet on her NEW 93 cause she hauled a dead car battery in the back and it, well, tipped over Imagine that :eek:

semlin - it was in a salvage yard since '98 ;)

dan - i wasn't even born in '93 -- JK -- !!

eric

offtopic : eric, your avatar makes it a little hard to focus on the discussion at hand :D
thought they had to be small in size, the avatar that is :eek:

>> Also, why was it average mileage until 1998 then virtually nothing since? <<
>> averaging about 2,000 per year over 5 years requires an explanation. <<

Semlin has a good point. Another point is that the odometer was replaced but it's highly unlikely that it was replaced the day it stopped working. I'm betting it was driven for years with a broken odometer.

I once owned a used 928S that had an intermittent odometer but the speedometer worked fine. Sometimes it would record mileage but most of the time it didn't. It was a low mileage Porsche when I bought it and it was a low mileage Porsche when it was sold as salvage (long, sad story.)

-B-

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, it looks to me like the rear seats have more ware than the fronts. I bought my wifes 80 with about 80K miles and it looked just as clean.
You should ask for a copy of the carfax, that would be interesting. Of course I passed on a 93 earlier this year because the carfax did not show any reports on the miles for several years (should have been there for the states it was registerd in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom