Easy Out Extractors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So what do you do when you snap off the "extractor" in the drilled out hole of the frozen bolt? :bang:

This would be on my first gen on the frame (upside-down) so soaking it with penetrating lube didn't really get down the threads. :meh:

So what do you do when you snap off the "extractor" in the drilled out hole of the frozen bolt? :bang:

This would be on my first gen on the frame (upside-down) so soaking it with penetrating lube didn't really get down the threads. :meh:

weld a bolt to the broken bolt, and use that bolt to back it out. Plus the heat of welding will break most any bolt loose.

If it broke off flush use a small punch with a fine point to try and reverse it out by tapping around any exposed edge until it comes out. That is the only way I have been successful. It may take a while but it should losen to the point that you can grab it with needle nose.

If it broke off down inside you might be able to losen it with a larger drill bit.
Easyouts are not kind to drill bits and will ruin the tip of any that come in contact.

My previous post was for removing the broke extractor, just to clearify.

Although it wouldn't work for this heating the bolt and forcing a crayon into the thread of a stuck or broken bolt can make for easier extraction.

Thanks guys. Yeah the bolt and the extractor are flush with the frame. I'll use a punch to try to get the extractor out and then try the welding to the bolt. I think the heat idea should help as well. Interesting tip on the crayon and bees wax.

Hey Scott just weld a nut to it no need to remove extractor,you need help I'll runover only 10 minutes away .

Scott, how'd it turn out? Were you able to get the bolt and extractor out?

This happened to me 2 weeks ago; 1 bolt appears to stick out far enough from the frame to weld a nut onto, but the other bolt w/ extractor is now almost completely flush with the frame.

I got around it for now so it was bumped down my long list of "crap to-do"...

Scott, how'd it turn out? Were you able to get the bolt and extractor out?

This happened to me 2 weeks ago; 1 bolt appears to stick out far enough from the frame to weld a nut onto, but the other bolt w/ extractor is now almost completely flush with the frame.

It wasn’t anything major; I was taking the front skid plate off to change the front diff fluid and one of the front bolts to the skid plate busted. I just bolted the other three back on for now.
On a side note; I couldn’t get the top (fill hole) bolt off the diff, but my vast amount of experience :rolleyes: at least helped me because I started with that bolt instead of the bottom drain bolt so I didn’t run into the “not being able to fill the fluid back in the diff" problem.

So basically I got nothing done...

I can now foresee issues for when I go to do the doubler install. Rusty old bolts.

meh that skid plate is definatly optional.

those fill/drain plugs can be tricky cause of the low shoulder height. Impact is king on those, or put the socket/ratchet on there and hit it with a hammer, that usually breaks it loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom