Early Sequoia options to hunt down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title says....

We are considering buying an earlier model Sequoia. There doesn't seem to be a thread that talks about the variances of trim levels (and quite frankly looking at used models online make even less sense - as some of the higher optioned vehicles are 2WD).

In any event - like most Toyota models, I'm wondering what options should be looked for an maybe pay a small premium for? (For instance, certain year corolla's the XRS has far more power, but is also the only model with rear discs..... or on 80 series, try to find lockers, etc).

I've had a LOT of Toyota's, but never had an early 2000's vehicle - sort of skipped few generations of vehicles and wondering what I should look for or steer away from.

We had an 80 series (1993 with lockers, some mods, but mostly stock) that was high mileage - and decided to sell for non-vehicle needs reasoning..... we have a 1987 Suburban that we had as it's "replacement" and it just isn't. Sure it's reliable, but that's about it. We miss the 80 series, but I want something a little newer and a little less geared towards pure off road use. 4WD (whether part time or full time) is a must, as where we live gets snow *sometimes* and getting to our house can be difficult without. Sequoia seems to fit the bill - bigger/comfortable for family, folding rear 3rd row, good space for pups in the back.

Also curious - I assume they would be able to flat tow a 40 series?

I'll take a shot at answering these.

There are roughly two trim levels--SR5 and Limited. (there may have been a bare bones base version but I have never seen one_
The options on the SR5 were almost limitless. You can find an SR5 with almost all of the bells and whistles as a limited or find an SR5 with none of them.

The limiteds were almost all identical. All came standard with power leather heated seats, dual sun visors, overhead info center, and rear spoiler. The only thing you couldn't get on an SR5 was the dual sun visors. In the early years the options on the limited were 6 disc changer or regular CD/tape player, rear DVD system, and wood grain trim. Later models had factory nav available. The next major change was in 2005 with a 5 speed auto transmission and a 40ish hp boost with VVT-I. I was happy with the power on my 2001, but you'll notice the difference, especially when towing. 05+ models also got the Torsen center diff like the 4runners that allows 4wd unlocked operation while the 01-04 have a standard part time 4wd system. All of them came standard with VSC and it works well.

You will certainly be able to tow your 40.

You may also look at comparable year 100 series'. The drivetrain is similar but the build quality is a bit better and it is a little smaller. I would buy another 1st gen sequoia in a heartbeat if I had a need for one. Limited is my personal favorite as there are no mysteries as far as options.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Thanks for the information!

On a car drive down - we were talking about what potential vehicle to buy and my wife scratched an itch that's been bothering me a while with 6 words, and knew a Sequioa doesn't fit the bill - "it has to be a manual". So unless we can find a rare JDM/Canadian cheap 80 series manual.... it'll have to be one of the latter year v6 4Runners.

That certainly narrows it down. How many people plus dogs? None of the manual 4runners came with a third row. Also, the 3rd gen 4runner is not a good choice for towing a 40. Based on your description of your wants, (3rd row, towing a 40, room for dogs, manual transmission, made by toyota) the vehicle you want does not exist in the north american market. If all of those are must-haves, you'll be looking at an early 90s 80 series, (which you already had) and having to deal with RHD or paying a huge premium for a LHD import.

I'd re-evaluate your list and decide which thing(s) you HAVE to have, and which ones are optional.

Right now 1 dog at ~80lbs, (GSD) and another will happen soon(ish). Wife and I, plus a 4 yo, plus one on the way - and her father lives about a mile away, so he travels with us (a lot) along with his border collie.

Until the addition comes, we can all make it work in our Prius V or his 01 suburban no problems....3rd row isn't a requirement, but it's nice to have. We rarely used the 3rd row in the 80 - and in our current 87 suburban we have only used the 3rd row once.

We really do want a manual..... but.... it's also understood that probably won't happen.

Had the Prius V serviced (Toyota care) and they had an '04 Sequoia there - strangely their website had a 2000 Landcruiser and the sales rep told me it was too high mileage to sell and they have a new policy that anything over 150k has to be wholesale. The Sequoia was nice - was 4wd with a CDL (though I didn't move the vehicle, the CDL just flashed.... couldn't hear it trying, but unsure if it's common for the actuators to 'stick' and not work similar to LC's). The Sequoia had 180k miles, so the salesman was trying to be pushy with selling before it goes wholesale. They're asking a premium so not really interested.

Although I am intrigued about a couple things.... it had a trailer brake controller - and looking under the rear there were bags/bellows of some sort inside the rear springs....

Do these have stock air suspension or is that aftermarket? I'm assuming aftermarket and this thing has done a lot of heavy towing.

Yes, aftermarket and I'd probably stay away. The transmission on the 01-04 is solid, but not really meant for towing big loads. On the other hand, that trailer brake controller, wiring, and airbag set up are probably more expensive than a used transmission. If the PO took the time to set it up that well, they likely maintained it pretty well also. It would be worth looking at the tranny fluid to see if it smells burnt. If it was used to tow a boat occasionally around your area, then no worries. If it was pulling a big camper over snoqualmie on a regular basis, then I'd think about it a little harder.

So, from personal experience with a couple vehicles that are roughly around your target zone and from somebody who has 5 kids...

94 4runner--roughly same size as the 3rd gen: Two car seats and the dogs in the back--no problem. There is not room for an adult and two car seats in the back(at least not for any length of time)

95 T-100--you didn't ask about this but it might be worth discussing--an extended cab pickup (tacoma, t100, early tundra) can be had with a manual transmission. 2nd gen tacomas might have the option of a double cab and manual trans, but they are spendy. Anyhow, in any of the extended cab options, a full size person doesn't fit well in the back. The double cab tundra has the same interior as a sequoia but more room in the bed for dogs, gear etc. if you put a shell on it, it has a roll down rear window that makes it almost like an SUV. No third row though...

2001 sequoia limited--excellent rig. We comfortably sat my wife and I, my parents, and 4 munchkins+parents luggage for a 2 hour trip to the airport. Easily merged into traffic on an uphill on-ramp. Towed a 19 foot Jayco camper all over the mountains of WV with no issues. Towed a fully loaded 12 ft uhaul trailer from Idaho to VA with no issues. Only sold as our 5th kiddo made it not quite big enough. Currently have an expedition EL after 5 years with an 07 suburban. Not a fan of either one.

1997 80 series--You have had one of these so know the pros and cons.

Other things to consider:

-4th gen 4runner w/V8--this is a little bigger and heavier than a 3rd gen and can be found with a third row.

-GX470 Often underpriced as nobody knows what they are. Very comfortable, third row standard, adjustable suspension--may be a bad thing if it hasn't been maintained.

-100 series--more comfortable and powerful than an 80, but not much bigger. Carseats will fit a bit better than in an 80 width wise but most infant carriers with the snap in base still won't fit in the side rear seats if you and/or your wife need/want the front seats most of the way back. (this applies to all of these vehicles except the double cab tundra and sequoia)

All of that to say, if I wanted to comfortably transport three adults, two kids and 3 dogs the sequoia gets the easy vote with the 100 series a somewhat close second place. The sequoia cargo compartment is a good bit bigger with actual usable space behind the third row. The third row seats also slide forward and back depending on how much leg room you need. The 100 series third row stows a bit smaller off to the side like an 80 but is not as comfortable as the sequoia (fold and tumble).

Depending on your budget, I'd recommend the 05+ with the 5 speed auto and VVT-i. I don't remember exactly which year they started but I think it was around 04 that they got self leveling rear shocks--these are good for costco trips, not for leveling the suspension with a trailer.

We just bought an 07 Sequoia limited and got the limited for the captain chairs on the second row with the easily removed console for easier ingress and egress to the third row.

Also 07 was the last year the back window rolls down.

With the captain's chairs in the back, we ride 7 comfortably and we never have the console in the back seat.

Similar situation. 2 kids, 5 and 3 and a big dog. Dog loves walking around in the back.

Plus it'll tow 3 tons

I'd say '05-'07 Sequoia. I've had 2 different 80 series and they are great trucks and amazing off road with just a few mods freeway trips in them were not the best. Now that I have my '05 Sequoia and a roof box all the family gear and our 80 pound dog fit comfortably. One thing I found when comparing 100 series with the Sequoia and the 80 series is the 100 series actually has less space in the back seat than an 80 series. This was one of the things that pushed me over the edge to the Sequoia. With an 8 year old and a baby on the way I wanted the most backseat area.

Crazy, since the 80 series doesn't exactly have great back seat space. Might be because the 80 had limited front leg space (for taller people, not a problem I had being 5'10 myself) and is common for people to modify the rails to move further back in the 80 - so a possible fix in the 100 (more front space, less middle seat space).

As another question - what years were the frame rust issues most prevalent? Where on the frame does it start and can be found (whether it's a simple or a deep inspection, I'm fine with either).

Thanks!

For your area, the frame rust issue is pretty much nonexistent. It will be on the rear frame rails if it does exist. Take a flashlight and a ball peen hammer to give it a couple whacks and take a detailed look inside the frame rails where you can see through the holes.

For your area, the frame rust issue is pretty much nonexistent. It will be on the rear frame rails if it does exist. Take a flashlight and a ball peen hammer to give it a couple whacks and take a detailed look inside the frame rails where you can see through the holes.

it isn't uncommon for vehicles from other areas to end up over here. That can be cleared up via Carfax..... but I'd rather look and be safe.
Thanks

Are there 'secondary air injection pump' issues with the first gens? Doing some reading it seems this is an issue with 07-08's, but ran across a Sequoia for sale that's claiming it has the same problem (earlier year).

Is this something to look/watch for or just know about these years?

Are there 'secondary air injection pump' issues with the first gens? Doing some reading it seems this is an issue with 07-08's, but ran across a Sequoia for sale that's claiming it has the same problem (earlier year).

I have never heard of that issue on the earlier ones. Looking through this thread doesn't seem to indicate any issues either....

Anyone here have any experience with Sequoias?

I did find some mention of the 05+ VVT-i models having some air injection issues but nothing specific. What year are you looking at?

It's an 05 that is listed for sale with the problem - I wasn't sure if all years had this or not.

Interesting that most suggest an 05-06 because of the VVTi + 5sp trans, but overlook this possible issue?

*edit*
Not that I'm necessarily interested in that specific vehicle, but more of a question if it applies to all within certain years...

Last edited:
All 05-07 Sequoias have the Air Induction Pump. 2005 got the vvti engine and the 5 speed auto. Also in 2005 the 4wd Sequoias got the torsen locking center diff out of the 4runner. But otherwise besides a drivetrain upgrade in 05 they are all pretty similar. They are great trucks. The 01-07 ones anyway. Never driven an 08+

It's an 05 that is listed for sale with the problem - I wasn't sure if all years had this or not.

Interesting that most suggest an 05-06 because of the VVTi + 5sp trans, but overlook this possible issue?

*edit*
Not that I'm necessarily interested in that specific vehicle, but more of a question if it applies to all within certain years...

I have never dealt with it but the forums say that it is easy to rework and prevent problems--jusy expensive if you have to repair. I wouldn't buy the one with the issue but wouldn't let that potential scare you away from an 05+. Just address it before it becomes an issue.

Went to go look at one today.... wasn't even worth 1/2 their asking price....

the test drive lasted less than a 1/4 mile before I turned around (of which I was reluctant to do anyways) - the engine had an audible miss (or exceptionally noisy valve) and the transmission felt unresponsive. In the 15 minutes I looked at it I found:

Rust on the rear frame
tow receiver hitch quite rusty and the passenger bolts weren't even tight (probably due to frame rust)
driver front fender had at some point been pulled - plus overspray on the A/C fan
random blue overspray (vehicle was white) all over the front
torn driver and passenger seats, one of the rear headrests was also torn, oddly enough
dents/scratches (like gouges in the plastic fender wells)
rust on the rear dented hatch

One thing I wasn't sure about - in the LC I had (and in the AE95) - when you put in Low (and in this I assume when you engage 4wd - I also tried putting it in low).... there's a light that blinks until the center diff engages - at which point it stays solid lit-up.

This turned the 4 "wheels" green, flashed the orange center light - then after several forward/backward attempts it just turned the light off. Is that an indication it locked, or?

Yes, and my '05 suffers from it. (I've put in a relay+resistor fix but it's yet to be seen if it passes the visual durng the smog inspection).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom