SOLD Early JDM Steel Toyota "TEQ" Tool Box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmamj

SILVER Star
Threads
Super early tool box from potentially a BJ2X series Land Cruiser. Can't substantiate the exact vehicle came out of, but I know it is very early Toyota. Nice deep dark green, with years of scratches and use. Opens and closes cleanly. The latches don't clamp the lid down as tightly as they should. $100 + $16 shipped inside a medium flat rate box to anywhere in the US. Pretty cool box.

9F921D39-3981-425E-90B1-3052F75AC2CC.jpeg
7C28C6A7-DCF6-4293-BBFC-7127A13FE540.jpeg
0A07C8FD-8CCA-420F-A956-51FA811A9A0E.jpeg
A1120382-31AC-41A4-B9D0-36CE5301BB66.jpeg

I’ll take the box and a set of the short box end wrench if you have another set

If I may ask, what makes the toolbox so early (identification marks, color, etc?). Reason why I ask, I recently purchased these two tool boxes and thought they were middle/late 60's era

IMG_20220120_093832_501~2.jpg
IMG_20220120_093853_742~2.jpg
IMG_20220120_093853_742~2.jpg

@locklaw your two toolboxes are undeniably 60s. And they are awesome!

Take a look at how TOYOTA TEQ MOTOR is pressed into the steel in the first pic. Compare it to yours. Notice how in the first picture the writing is more "bubbly" than yours? I don't have a better way to describe it, other than the letters are more rounded at the edges. It is more pronounced in the "TEQ". What I've surmised is the more "bubbly" ones were manufactured earlier, like mid-50s to ??? It's just a hypothesis at this point, but it's supported by two things:
  1. I have a NOS JDM box/kit from 1963. I know the tools are original to the box, and the box is similar to yours.
  2. I've seen tools which I know are correct for the 1950's era inside the "bubbly" boxes. I don't know for certain if those tools were original to the boxes, but I don't have a reason to believe they weren't.
Would love to determine it to be fact, but I think we need a time machine for that :).

@locklaw your two toolboxes are undeniably 60s. And they are awesome!

Take a look at how TOYOTA TEQ MOTOR is pressed into the steel in the first pic. Compare it to yours. Notice how in the first picture the writing is more "bubbly" than yours? I don't have a better way to describe it, other than the letters are more rounded at the edges. It is more pronounced in the "TEQ". What I've surmised is the more "bubbly" ones were manufactured earlier, like mid-50s to ??? It's just a hypothesis at this point, but it's supported by two things:
  1. I have a NOS JDM box/kit from 1963. I know the tools are original to the box, and the box is similar to yours.
  2. I've seen tools which I know are correct for the 1950's era inside the "bubbly" boxes. I don't know for certain if those tools were original to the boxes, but I don't have a reason to believe they weren't.
Would love to determine it to be fact, but I think we need a time machine for th
Thanks so much, makes perfect sense.

@dmamj ,

Other than the "sharpness" of the lettering, are the early and later boxes the same in all other ways ?

Thx.

@Bear Michael, all physical attributes of the boxes are identical except for anything in relief, including the letters and the primary/secondary outlines. What I suspect to be the older boxes are far less defined.

Thank-you. Without one directly side by side and up-close it's rather difficult to tell. Good eye.

Metal thickness difference? Or maybe temper (hard to do non-destructive tests for this though) which would impact bends/relief using the same press molds? Just a cat thing…

Most of us who don't handle these a lot, probably would have never noticed the subtle differences.

Thanks for the education !

The differences are more noticeable in person but the pics show the differences. What kind of tools would be included in the tool box? When did they go to tool rolls? Were they standard equipment or optional? You seem to know quite a bit about the different tools and equipment. Thanks

EE4B3AE8-374B-4BA4-9F11-CC3FF7FE7414.jpeg

23623CA4-BA43-4DA6-B754-850C3E771009.jpeg

9B139BDB-D7CD-46F9-B548-047820CAE605.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom