*** Early FST *** (Factory Soft Top depository) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haven't been following this thread very closely over the years as I didn't think I'd ever have the pleasure of owning one of these rare beauties :D As luck would have it though I was able to persuade my good buddy Daniel Watters to part with his early FST gem. Trollhole is a good friend and located just a few hours away from me so I am going to have the 40 shipped to him in hopes we can bring these the FST reproductions to fruition! If you've got interest in having Trollhole make a top please post up.

FJ45brian.jpg

Haven't been following this thread very closely over the years as I didn't think I'd ever have the pleasure of owning one of these rare beauties :D As luck would have it though I was able to persuade my good buddy Daniel Watters to part with his early FST gem. Trollhole is a good friend and located just a few hours away from me so I am going to have the 40 shipped to him in hopes we can bring these the FST reproductions to fruition! If you've got interest in having Trollhole make a top please post up.

View attachment 1397442
bows are the issue. :( have the top already.

View attachment 1397442

Great score. If you decide to part with front end then I will be interested in few bits such as headlight trim bezels and T-Bird emblem etc. Bows will be fairl easy, door/window surrounds will need a good engineering shop.

Bows have never been the issue. Real issue after a OEM canvas showed up some of us what a top as close to original as possible not just something that will fit. But after this long might be interested in one depending on price. If he could possibly make skins for the doors that would be great. At the very least enough matching material to cover the doors.

Bows have never been the issue.

maybe not for the lucky...i still can't find someone to make the pieces above and behind the door without them looking like crap and requiring a ton of work. :( i got a top and material to match for doors, just need those pieces and door frames.

maybe not for the lucky...i still can't find someone to make the pieces above and behind the door without them looking like crap and requiring a ton of work. :( i got a top and material to match for doors, just need those pieces and door frames.

I got mine made as exact OEM replica (single piece fabrication), however paid top $$$ out of desperation. :bang:

DSC_2945.JPG

DSC_2943.JPG

Trollhole is a good friend and located just a few hours away from me so I am going to have the 40 shipped to him in hopes we can bring these the FST reproductions to fruition!

Glad to hear your having it shipped and not making the trip yourself. I remember a trip not so long ago that involved you, Marshall and your 45 pickup that didn't turn out quite as planned.:rolleyes:

Glad to hear your having it shipped and not making the trip yourself. I remember a trip not so long ago that involved you, Marshall and your 45 pickup that didn't turn out quite as planned.:rolleyes:

Which one? Marshall and I have had several ill fated 45 trips over the years :grinpimp:

Truck made it from Whitey45's to Marshall's, now we can get things rolling!

Which one? Marshall and I have had several ill fated 45 trips over the years :grinpimp:

Truck made it from Whitey45's to Marshall's, now we can get things rolling!
Well, i will need everything plus some. put me down! can you guys get this done before our trip in march? @Trollhole :rofl:

Maybe. Will see. Here is the hard part. You guys want it perfect but don't want to pay much. That's hard to do on a top they pattern and only make 2 a year. So there has to be a trade off. It took me years to get the 40 top just the way I wanted it. Hell we still are making changes.

The windows are going to be the hard part. We simply cant make the rings. All we can do is make the opening or maybe do a high end thicker plastic window that looks the part?

Next up is I need a pic of the windshield channel and how it went on the truck. Need to know how wide it it and the dimensions. Jp's truck doesn't have one. You could see where it was welded in but it's gone now.

Couple of questions. If we do it in OD green is everyone okay with that. It fades quickly probably just like the original. And after a few months would be a perfect match.

I need to know what you want to do on the common sense fasteners? Riveted or prong?

Buckles. will black or chrome do or do they need to be painted? I can probably get it painted but you guys will need to come to a consensus on color.

Or should I just have all the hardware painted to match the current Toyota common sense fasteners?

Truck is at my soft top company. Need to get this knocked out before the boat season cranks up.

You guys want it perfect but don't want to pay much. That's hard to do on a top they pattern and only make 2 a year. So there has to be a trade off.

The windows are going to be the hard part. We simply cant make the rings.

seems there is undue stress being placed on the top being "perfect".

producing the best possible top, designed for longevity, performance in weather, ease of use, line of sight with windows etc., are all considerations for consumers who actually want to regularly use/drive their vehicles. I can see most (probably 95%+) soft top shops weighing heavily on these ideas.

Fact: per today's standards, the original top was/is far from "perfect". my point, the top doesn't need to be perfect just IDENTICAL for a true restoration. materials and hardware have obviously changed in the past 50 years, but trade-offs should be considered carefully as to limit a change with aesthetics

that being said, it will never be feasible to expect a cheap maybe affordable top for most, and certainly no profit for a middle man. There has already been a remarkable top (RE: Mike Badger Tops) put into the market for those wanting perfection but at a cost. if the next goal is to produce a very good affordable top for Early FJ40/most FJ25 owners, than I would agree 100% with your objectives.

My earlier suggestions were simply my expectations and seemingly don't relate to most of your potential consumers.

and it was my understanding that the metal window rings have already been reproduced by someone Ken sourced pre this thread?

if no one gets you measurements on the windshield channel before next week, i can get them along with pics when i get back from moab.

Next up is I need a pic of the windshield channel and how it went on the truck. Need to know how wide it it and the dimensions. Jp's truck doesn't have one. You could see where it was welded in but it's gone now.

I can send you guys either the channel or lop off the top of a frame and send it. I have two in the scrap pile. PM me if you want it.

Likewise Iike @67azcruizr said a modern replacement with the look of an original would work for most. Probably be in the market for one if waterproof material. After living with cotton canvas and finally getting it fairly waterproof with canvak it now has the consistency of wet toilet paper and has some tears in it. Canvas not a problem for a show truck but modern materials for any kind of use. Mine is off at the moment if it will help...

Black or second chrome.......as long as it doesn't rust.

seems there is undue stress being placed on the top being "perfect".

producing the best possible top, designed for longevity, performance in weather, ease of use, line of sight with windows etc., are all considerations for consumers who actually want to regularly use/drive their vehicles. I can see most (probably 95%+) soft top shops weighing heavily on these ideas.

Fact: per today's standards, the original top was/is far from "perfect". my point, the top doesn't need to be perfect just IDENTICAL for a true restoration. materials and hardware have obviously changed in the past 50 years, but trade-offs should be considered carefully as to limit a change with aesthetics

that being said, it will never be feasible to expect a cheap maybe affordable top for most, and certainly no profit for a middle man. There has already been a remarkable top (RE: Mike Badger Tops) put into the market for those wanting perfection but at a cost. if the next goal is to produce a very good affordable top for Early FJ40/most FJ25 owners, than I would agree 100% with your objectives.

My earlier suggestions were simply my expectations and seemingly don't relate to most of your potential consumers.

and it was my understanding that the metal window rings have already been reproduced by someone Ken sourced pre this thread?

Someone already is making these tops? I wasn't aware of this. I don't want to step on any toes.

Marshall i can bring my bare windshield frame up on the 17th?

Last edited:
The early top. What is the length of the windshield channel and can someone post a pic of how it's mounted on the truck? Getting closer on making this a reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom