*** Early FST *** (Factory Soft Top depository) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Canada place is nickel plated ... They just say chrome... I am almost 100% tri is where they get them from ... Recall tri telling where they distributed to and that's how I found the place in Canada :)

If it makes you feel better... In 1 year I had to repaint all my black tooth buckles on my old top because they all were rusting

At least these will be plated first :)

LOL - Tried placing an order with them and shipping is $35 to USA for $14 product price. They are insane.

You can call tri and see if you can find a dealer of there stuff anyplace else

I never ordered from the Canada place... Over the boarder stuff sucks in taxes

Let me know where else ... In USA ... If they still give out that info

Try contacting @majojo4 he reproduced the door safety straps which used these ends.

Me I think I getting so old and I'll never see reproduction tops ever made. Have two complete set of bows and enough of the front half bow pieces to make a couple more sets and no canvas.:(

Try contacting @majojo4 he reproduced the door safety straps which used these ends.

Me I think I getting so old and I'll never see reproduction tops ever made. Have two complete set of bows and enough of the front half bow pieces to make a couple more sets and no canvas.:(
i have repro canvas, so you should just send me bows :D

I was thinking just the opposite, been looking for canvas for over fourteen years.:bang:

I am deciding between German Happich Beige/Tan or Stayfast Tan/Tan. Leaning towards Stayfast as it looks more authentic since its backing doesn't have typical German Dobby / Criss Cross backing and Otherwise both canvas are somewhat similar quality.

Are are these already painted in correct Toyota OEM color? Or is it just primer? They look painted to me and shall I go ahead and paint rest of the hardware to match this colour?

image.jpeg

It seems like paint to me. I just left mine the original color, although They were probably sprayed body color like everything else on the early trucks.

I'm disappointed to see so much negativity surrounding getting a correct early top made. I'm positive I could get one made locally if I were ready to fork over the cash. I'm just not right now because I have so many other projects going on. It's in the cards for 2017, tho. We can definitely make this happen.

It seems like paint to me. I just left mine the original color, although They were probably sprayed body color like everything else on the early trucks.

I'm disappointed to see so much negativity surrounding getting a correct early top made. I'm positive I could get one made locally if I were ready to fork over the cash. I'm just not right now because I have so many other projects going on. It's in the cards for 2017, tho. We can definitely make this happen.

I agree a correct top is not a big deal. I am going to attempt one in near future purely based on pictures, besides I have A Type bows so that will limit any chance of making it for most of the folks in group. Also I don't have removable side and back window rings, although found a place locally who can make it at a reasonable place (If I can provide a pattern), they are going to make door surround pieces for me.

Henry (@west aussie) has kindly shipped me an original pattern for door surround and this one I can make for all of those who are missing and interested in having. I am reaching back in Wellington (Hopefully) in a weeks time and will get on to it.

At the moment I am enjoying collecting all the hardware and software (Canvas). Now I only need to source webbing end tips and a pattern for window rings, everything else is in my garage for soft-top.

Last edited:
Are are these already painted in correct Toyota OEM color? Or is it just primer? They look painted to me and shall I go ahead and paint rest of the hardware to match this colour?
View attachment 1319158

Mine were recycled and beautiful brass......they are now green and imparting a beautiful green tint to the flap that covers them. Probably why they're painted.

So working on a test top now. The fasteners. If we can only get black, brass or stainless what are your preferences? I could probably get the fasteners painted the Toyota gray but that just adds more cost.

Windows? The top I have looks like it had a metal ring on the window and he sides just had plastic Windows. Is this correct. Do you want the metal rings or will making the rear like the sides matter? The welding or rope used to go in the channel. Do you want it just like factory specs or would a new synthetic channel work?

Color. Will tan canvas work? I'm working my way out of canvas with the other tops because of shrinking and fading issues. But I know you want it as period correct as possible.

Should have the first prototype done this month. Then I'll send it out to someone to get feedback on fitment.

Once we have it nailed down I'll do a group buy. Considering the time it's going to take to make these tops I only want to do it once a year. That way they can knock it out all at once and move back to making all my other tops. I want to keep this top limited on options as I already am pushing it with my other products. Thinking of at least 6 tops at first.
Any word or updates Marshall? I'd be interested in one if you do this. You're looking at getting at least six commits? What are you up to? Hope all is well bud!

"Moment of truth" - Found these in a box of very few original parts I got with "Sheriff". This confirms they were not body coloured.

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom