*** Early FST *** (Factory Soft Top depository) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The early top. What is the length of the windshield channel and can someone post a pic of how it's mounted on the truck? Getting closer on making this a reality.
I can bring a windshield frame up on the 5th

The early top. What is the length of the windshield channel and can someone post a pic of how it's mounted on the truck? Getting closer on making this a reality.
welded so closely you almost think it's part of the windshield. 50 1/2" long
20170425_190512.jpg

Whats the difference between that channel and the ones on a later 40 FST? Any sources for a repo? Thanks!

The later ones (68?) After the flat section that bolted to the windshield it angled up then creates almost a complete square. After the up angle it angled forward right at the height of the high lip on the windshield. Then down and back just short of closing the square. I have a channel from a 67 and while it bolts on it's still the early style that was spot-welded on.

Here's a picture an OEM removable FST channel. This one hasn't been bolted down. There are capture nuts along the front edged of a late FST windshield to bolt this in place. As @Living in the Past stated above, the later variety angles up and forms the square channel this way.

IMG_4121.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for shari g those pics, Top one is right hand drive, nice
We didn't get hubcaps or even hubcap rims in Australia until late 64 around the time of the 15" to 16" rim change as standard

Found these in an aviation environment, google the part number XX78326 and it seems to be available from aviation suppliers. I did not price them...

As an experiment I adapted one to the tub. It's close. The threaded shaft is 6-36, Ace has in it's widget boxes an aluminum 6-36 spacer 1/4"x1/4" (also in nylon). Ground down to the thickness of the tub rim it is a good fit. I have not been able to find a larger nut with a 6-36 thread. This combo would work well on the tub and side curtains, just zip off the excess stud flush with the nut, no need for a lock washer.

IMG_2308.jpg
IMG_2347.jpg
IMG_2348.jpg

you'll find those little ones will snap off in a heartbeat. i tried those too. snapped two of them just tightening the nuts up. spent the bucks to get oem turnbuckles

How could anything aviation related break? Yep, OEM would be best for the tub, but just fastening side curtains and rear windows, all canvas to canvas, these might work better than the prong type that cut the material.

IMG_2352.jpg

Can anyone post of the current tops being sold mounted on to factory bows? Not sure I have ever seen a picture of how close to original. I know they are not canvas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom