Early 60 Series PS PUMPS different? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone got any insght on this little problem? I'm looking for a new oem ps pump for my 1981 FJ60 and have been told by a reliable source that it is discontinued by Toyota?? I was under the impression that all ps pumps for fj60's with a 2F are the same. Does anyone know if a ps pump for a later model FJ60 will work? Also, do you know what the difference is so I know what I need to look for?

This pump looks like it was already rebuilt so I don't want to rebuild it again and have it crap out in the middle of nowhere.

It still works but I removed it already in anticipation of having a brand new one in my hands by early next week. Truck is just sittin now and I'd like to get her running asap.

Thanks.:confused:

update and new question

Ok. So I have a second and final concurring confirmation that the PS pumps are indeed different. If you have a pre-9/81 FJ60 then your PS pump is different. The only difference seems to be that the reservoir is somehow different. All other components have identical part numbers and the rebuild kit is the same.

My new question is this: Has anyone on here put a later model PS Pump ie. post-1982 onto a pre- 9/1981 2F and had it function successfully?

It seems lik it should work, but I'd like some concrete evidence of this for me and for anyone else who will come across this problem.

Thanks.

Is your current one leaking or something? If not, leave it alone and
get a spare one by checking on the Classified section on the board.

That is what I did.

Even if it is leaking, it is worth it to rebuild it.

Ps pump

No, it's not leaking but there is something going on with a bearing that is causing the pump to vibrate in a very strange manner. It basically groans non-stop. Like I said, it looks like it was rebuilt at least once before as it is painted blue. I don't want to rebuild it and have it crap out again. Plus, I could use a new reservoir.

Since noone knows the answer, I'll be the guinea pig and see if a later model pump will work. I'll rebuild the pump I have and use it for a spare.

Have you ahd the pump off recently?

If so, jack up the front end and block it. Starter your rig and slowly turn you steering left lock to right lock about 30 to 40 times. Keep adding fluid. It sounds like you have air in your system.

So I have a second and final concurring confirmation that the PS pumps are indeed different. If you have a pre-9/81 FJ60 then your PS pump is different. The only difference seems to be that the reservoir is somehow different. All other components have identical part numbers and the rebuild kit is the same.
The return hose (and nipple on the reservoir) is 8mm on 78-mid 81. It changes up to 10mm hose on 81-later 2F.

There are different PN's for the pumps between FJ40 and FJ60 'cause the FJ60 has a slightly higher pressure valve for easier steering. Pumps are all interchangeable w/ no noticeable effect.

Hey all-

I didn't know there had been further responses to this thread until now. I am writing to post a definitive answer to my question. Thanks for the feedback Jim and yes, the newer pump works with my early 81 2f engine. What a difference! The new pump is sweet and groan free starts are nice too. Removal and installation were a breeze. The old pump was definitely on its death bed. I barely had to bleed the system with the new pump. Front end up I filled the res, primed it for a few minutes by manually turning the pulley, alternating lock to lock a few times in between, started her up, topped it off, drove around and topped it off a bit more... done.

Thanks to CDan for the help and great customer service as always.

DAnimal-I did try what you suggested. I had a previous thread about the whole thing. Eventually the old pump was bled and air free, (it took me a couple of days to get all the air out,) but was still groaning like a monster whether warm or cold. I'll rebuild it and use it as a spare. Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom