e-locker problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just put a e-locker in my truck using the supplied kit from Inchworm. Hooked everything up and the light came on indicating that it was locked, which it was. I was trying to unlock it when I noticed the resistor was getting hot as hell. I jacked up the front up the truck to reduce any binding to help get her to unlock. I removed the motor and saw that it had in fact unlocked and the light was off. However, the motor was not operating any longer and still won't.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
James

rtiqulatendisco said:
Just put a e-locker in my truck using the supplied kit from Inchworm. Hooked everything up and the light came on indicating that it was locked, which it was. I was trying to unlock it when I noticed the resistor was getting hot as hell. I jacked up the front up the truck to reduce any binding to help get her to unlock. I removed the motor and saw that it had in fact unlocked and the light was off. However, the motor was not operating any longer and still won't.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
James

I don't know much about 80's or e-lockers. But it sounds like you may have burnt your motor up :doh: . I do know a little about electricty. Is there some type of fuse for it? And you should have wired it threw a fuse in your cruiser. If it did not have an inline or something.

Last edited:
the actuator motor has a built in "stop" that interupts the circuit once the motor has reached the point at which it has pulled the pin all the way back. If you don't use this circuit, the motor can bing itself up. I found this when i was bench-testing mine, and bypassing the "Stop"; had to take the cover off my motor, and spin it back by hand until it was free.

this may or may not be your problem.

Was there anyway you could have "bench" tested the locker before you installed it to see if it was working properly, and that there was no binding anywhere?

With the heat on the resistor, it makes me think that the motor was trying to disengage the locker, but something was sticking and holding it up. I know it helps when locking or unlocking if the vehicle is moving to give the diffs a chance to unbind and line up properly to fascilitate the change, but I've never heard of something burning up while it was happening.

How long was it stuck "locked" after you tried to de-activate the locker?

It does have a fuse in the line, actually two. One did blow. When I pulled the motor off, I could not even spin the gear on the motor by hand. Seems like it was binding up and then burned the motor out. Is this possible?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom