Dusy-Ershim in my 80! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I def have a winch, new 12k and am itching to use it. I will keep eye on the plannings next year.

Frnak

That looks awesome! Any chance more aggressive tires on the 80 would help make up for lack of front locker?

Frank

no not really, yes a winch helps but if you have to pull the winch every 50 feet then you are spending days winching. On this trail you really need to keep moving along if you are going to finish it. We were winching that 100 too much and eventually we realized that it was going to take us 2 more days of winching and rock stacking just to get him to the top of thompson hill and he still might crack his tcase. His truck got fairly beat up. Lots of body damage. Next was mechanical damage if we kept going. On the other side of the coin the guys that were properly setup were moving along just fine and had minimal body damage. Experience is also an important thing to consider as well. If you have a brand new four wheeler in the group it is going to take a lot of spotting, etc to keep moving.

I hear you. I have been on runs with similar challenges as far as capability and experience. I have never wheeled Dusy but have read up on it for years and all reports are consistent regarding its difficulty - it is hard. My truck is fairly well armored but I'd likely add diff skids and rear LCA protection and probably a front locker to keep the pace up.

Thanks for posting that video, the truck is looking good!

Frank

I was just on the Dusy in October. We got an inch of snow one night. The trail has got much harder (IMO) from the last 2 winters we have had. Thompson hill is no joke, especially in an 80. As the trail sits right now I would have 35's and dual lockers at a minimum and a winch.
That's a great reminder - trails are dynamic, not static! Just because it was Easy, Moderate, Difficult, or Extreme a few years ago, doesn't mean it'll be the same as when you last ran it. It's always good to get the latest info from a recent run. Great photos, too, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom