dumb question: tranny fluid? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rockcrawler
i can't find a dipstick. and nothing in the haynes manual. it's a 71 fj40.

Manual trannys don't have dipsticks ::) You fill them up to the filler plug and when the fluid begins to run out all over your head the level is correct :D &nbsp:Ditto for the transfer if they are separate as on my split case in my BJ60 :)

Yep. Smells really good in yer hair, too!

oh we found the dipstick though :slap: :G

sorry man i had to.that was a good laugh though,thanks!

hey have a :beer: on me :G

so how do you know when it's low, check every three months? and where are these plugs and what kind of fluid is best? do manual transmissions have filters?

On your rig plugs are on drivers side of transmission and transfer case rear. (17mm wrench)
No filter.
GL3 Gear Oil.

You will need to do some crawling around underneath your cruiser. Look on the tranny, and there will be 2 plugs, obviously the higher plug will be the fill plug. Always remove the fill plug first when changing fluids. That way, if the drain plug is boogered up, you won't be stuck.
Anyway, remove the fill plug, and kinda stick your pinky into the hole, if you hit oil, you are good, if not, you could be low. Go to your auto parts store of choice, and get a little quart/gallon pump. They are a couple bucks and help make less of a mess. Gear oil is to me the most foul smelling substance on earth.

It might be a good idea to change all of your fluids, you can get an idea of wear too by seeing if there is any metal present.

I highly recommend getting a FSM(factory service manual) from toyota. I'm no mechanic, but with precise instructions, and the right tools, even a newb like me can do pretty well. Saves alot of bucks too. :D

even the Haynes manual for $15 has good info on fluids and such. also, check the drawings at SOR.com and you'll see where the fill and drain plugs are located.

I use 80W90 in my tranny, t-case, and both diffs. Cheaper the better, since my rig is a trail truck and fluids get changed 1-2 times per year, despite only getting a few thousand miles.

If you have difficulty getting a bottle up to the fill hole on the tranny, you can pull the shift lever and fill thru there too, and just watch it run out of the fill hole.

IMO, if you don't have leaks, it's either A> still full, but you might consider changing to be sure or B> empty, and you have other issues....lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom