dual purpose bikes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.coopxgear.com
anyone on here have dual purpose motocycles? i was wandering on foot today looking for zombie hives and meandered into a bike shop. Hmm, the Husqvarna 610 looks like fun. Pros-Cons? or suggestions of others? maybe some pics?

I've rode a few (Enduro, Husqy, etc), some are better than others. Biggest beef with them is some get a little sporty at high speeds, wander a dittle.

Kinda reminded me of driving my 40 at high speeds:grinpimp:

08 KLR 650, they finally freshened up the ole gal.

Dual-sporting is seriously popular. I just picked up my second bike today to go along with my road bike ('95 Honda ST1100). The bike I just got is a '97 Honda XR400R, which has been plated to be street-legal.
100_0315.jpg
100_0314.jpg
100_0313.jpg

08 KLR 650, they finally freshened up the ole gal.

I was looking really hard at the KLR's--new and used--prior to having this bike fall into my lap less than 20 miles from my home. It's more dirt bike than I first intended but I can get some more streetable tires and I'm good to go.

The kawa KLR is one of the, if not THE, best dual purpose bike. It will keep running forever. Sure the Husqvarna have a lto of power, but it wont last as long as the Kawa or Honda. Even the US marine use the KLR when they buy bikes now

I have owned two Honda duals and a vintage hodaka dual.

I loved both of my hondas (xl500s-old school, and an 98 XL650L) and both were bulletproof reliable.

My only complaint with the XL650 was the ludicrous stand over height. I am 6' even, and that bike was TALL. Tippy toes at every stop light, even with my tubby 220 lbs on it.

If you are going that route, get the white bros lowering link, and possibly a corbin seat, unless you are over 6". That can drop it down 2-3".

I know nothing about the KTM, except that the two people I know with them love them.

ALso, if you are going into the woods a lot, keep in mind that all of the 650 cc range bikes are going to be 300 lbs plus- and can be a real bear in the mud or when you drop it.

If you are not seeing highway time, look at that DR400 posted above. Great bike.

I personally cannont justify a new bike, as I would be pissed when I tore off the plastic or dropped a 6K bike in the woods, which you will do.

A friend and I seriously pissed off a guy with a new KLR that insisted he come with us. WE tried to talk him out of it, and he left with a whole lot more dents and scratches than he had planned on.

I would buy my old XL500S again in a heartbeat- but they are tough to find. Kick only single 500CC thumper, that was $300 when I bought it, and took a real beating. So did my shins till I learned how to start that pig.

If you can find a used XL650,. DR650 or a KLR 650, go for it. They will all treat you right.

I've been considering the Suzuki DR400 because of it's lighter weight. anyone know it's manners and speed on the hwy?

I've been considering the Suzuki DR400 because of it's lighter weight. anyone know it's manners and speed on the hwy?

I had an early 90's DR350. It was really wound tight at 60-65mph. Other than very short highway trips I wouldn't recommend it. The extra 50 cc's and a smaller rear sprocket might help. Handling was good.

The kawa KLR is one of the, if not THE, best dual purpose bike. It will keep running forever. Sure the Husqvarna have a lto of power, but it wont last as long as the Kawa or Honda. Even the US marine use the KLR when they buy bikes now

While this is true, the full story is that all the USMC bikes now are diesels fitted into KLR frames.

One thing no-one mentioned, and is a huge factor....

Parts availability! There are not so many Husqy dealerships around. I've had friends have to drive hours out of their way to go purchase parts... They're good bikes, but for that reason I wouldn't own one...

Huskies are like FJ40's. They're a pain in the ass to get parts for.

Dual-sporting is seriously popular. I just picked up my second bike today to go along with my road bike ('95 Honda ST1100). The bike I just got is a '97 Honda XR400R, which has been plated to be street-legal.
Plated yes...however, those tires are not street legal...at least not in Colorado... :D

wow, thanks for the info, primarily i'd use it during the week for the 20 mile jump to work on the freeway, as Alice's fuel bill is geeting out of hand. As for bike height, i'm only 5'9 so thats going to be a factor. I've ridden dirtbikes since i was a kid the last being some 125CC bikes made by Chosin out of China. (yeah not the greatest but cheap) They were a blast to ride around afghanistan and africa, pretty gutless though. On parts availability, there are shops in the bay area. I'm only at the research stage now so everything you guys have to say helps. :flipoff2:

I've ridden the USMC's KLR's lots of fun although the frames break easier than i'd expect.

One thing about KTM's though is they come STOCK with upgraded parts, on a different brand bike you'd have to buy ...

Also a 230 is way to small for a street bike!! You'd have to gut that pig to make it light enough to have fun with it since it would be under powered

One thing about KTM's though is they come STOCK with upgraded parts, on a different brand bike you'd have to buy ...

No argument on the nice equipment that comes stock with the KTM's - That's why they cost so much more.

Also a 230 is way to small for a street bike!! You'd have to gut that pig to make it light enough to have fun with it since it would be under powered

I agree about the power issue for freeway riding- missed that part. I would rccomend nothing less than 600 CC. And If I could chooses my dream bike it would be a KTM 950 adventure.

anyone ride the 08 KTM 690 enduro ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom