dual purpose bikes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just thought I'd put the white-hot spot light on Yooper and state that all this weekend he's taking the Rider's Course. Yeehaw! Pretty soon that Yamaha is gonna be the scourge of Marquette!

Best thing to do!! Good for you Yooper for not wanting to be a typical squid :cheers:
Other than the Rider's Course, I recommend lots of offroad riding.
Makes you a much sharper street rider as well.

My 1st bike....many moons ago:
01010901150601040920080425bd7c514b4069415a80002e69[1].jpg

Other than the Rider's Course, I recommend lots of offroad riding.
Makes you a much sharper street rider as well.

My 1st bike....many moons ago:

I agree with this

my 1st grown up bike was similar to this:
xl185s-83.jpg

here is a pic of my old 2000 ATK 605 dual sport. :grinpimp:
bike 001 (Medium).jpg
bike 002 (Medium).jpg
bike 003 (Medium).jpg

I had one of these for my 1st bike and it was almost new when I got it. It would have put the undying Hilux to shame:D
Also cost me a visit to the childrens court and a $10 fine for refusing to stop,no DL and no helmet:D

9678_0_1_4_dt%20175_Image%20credits%20-%20Jean%20Villeneuve.jpg

Ive got that bike, you wanna buy it? I'm sure the shipping is cheap to Aus!:p

has anyone had a chance to ride the new BMW F800GS? looks pretty nice, although it might be a bit of stretch on the wallet, so if i go that route the cruiser mods will suffer. dammit the quandary!!!!!!

so all these bikes without turn signals you can't ride at night on the streets, right?

(I don't know why it's been so difficult to make quick disconnect turn signals and lights...)

so all these bikes without turn signals you can't ride at night on the streets, right?

(I don't know why it's been so difficult to make quick disconnect turn signals and lights...)

Most states do not require turn signals in order for the bike to be street-legal.

Most states do not require turn signals in order for the bike to be street-legal.

correct. I used hand signals. But, you do need at least one mirror, brake light, head light, tale light to be legal. I had a mirror that would fold down flat across the handle bars once i hit the woods to keep from ripping it off on a tree branch.

One nifty trick is to mount the turn signals on a springy mount, so if you drop it off-road, the signal simply bends, then springs back into position when you pick the bike up.

01-040-0209-01.jpg

This is mine. (Photo taken by the PO)

F650GS002sm.jpg

I was also thinking about getting a dual sport but I would be using it on road at least 90% of the time s now I am leaning toward a sport bike. Another plus to the multi sports over the sport bikes is they seem to be cheaper.

I was also thinking about getting a dual sport but I would be using it on road at least 90% of the time s now I am leaning toward a sport bike. Another plus to the multi sports over the sport bikes is they seem to be cheaper.

Sounds like you want a v-strom.

I'm talking about dual sports on another thread, but I saw this one. I admit to knowing very little about what's out there for dual sports. I grew up on dirt bikes, Yamaha 80 and 125, OLD-school, metal fenders and tanks! I'm a fairly experienced street rider; I had an old Virago and a '72 chopped Sporty. I'm pretty damn short so what's a good "low" dual sport? The Yamaha XT250 and the new WR200 are lower, but I still have to tiptoe them, and I'm just not that comfortable with that. I can shave seat foam and re-upholster myself, so I can mod that way. Any help? Oh, and I haven't riden in a while 'cause the wife is anti-me owning a bike, so I need a good argument for her besides $4 a gallon for go juice!

rob

rob, most bikes have adjustable rear shocks. You can set the ride height based on your weight ect.. So, with that said you should get an adjustment wrench for the rear shock so you can set the height accordingly.

But, obviously the larger displacement bike you get the higher it will sit. So you can only adjust so far. I bet staying between a 250 cc and 400cc you should be ok.

As a starter bike any Honda XR should do nicely...a 400 is a good starter....oil and petrol and ride it...really durable etc and will be able to sell it on when you`re ready to upgrade to a bigger weapon.....

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom