Dual Batteries (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any advice out there?
I've already installed the washer bottle move kit.
I'm an electrical nincompoop (pretty scary considering I was an aviation electrician in the navy) so I need a kit or something as simple as possible.
juane

I used the Hellroaring BIC. You can find him on google and ask him any question on the phone. I was an electrical idiot also, and mine works like a charm.

I think there are cheaper options, but this one works for me. The main idea is to run everything off the main battery and it always isolates the second keeping a full charge on your spare. Always charges both while you run and I flip a switch to get a self-jump.

G

save your money, keep it simple with a single quality battery like a Diehard Platinum Group 31 and be done with it. Odyssey makes this battery and has some killer specs. Just a thought!

I'm pretty pleased with my Painless set-up. No delicate electronics to get damaged by heat, dust, vibration...

Disagree, Ash. Having a separate back up has saved my butt a couple times miles from anywhere.I just miss the dual alternator set-up I had on the 2F. Now that was real redundancy.

I'm pretty pleased with my Painless set-up. No delicate electronics to get damaged by heat, dust, vibration...

Disagree, Ash. Having a separate back up has saved my butt a couple times miles from anywhere.I just miss the dual alternator set-up I had on the 2F. Now that was real redundancy.

That's because you had a crappy battery. :D If you have a good quality battery with killer specs and a decent electrical system, a single battery with the following spec is plenty sufficient.

For a cost of $250, you're getting a battery that has better specs and a warranty than two POS Optima Yellow tops and cash to spare.

DieHard Marine Battery, Platinum PM-1 - Group Size 31M

Product Overview:
Item Weight: 75.0 lbs.
Battery Type:
Transportation Type: Marine and recreational vehicle
Battery Group Size: 31M
Temperate Zone: North or South
Power Configuration:
Voltage: 12.0
Power Ratings:
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA at 0 deg.F): 1150
Reserve Capacity (RC): 205 min.
Amp Hours at 20 Hour Rate: 100
Design & Construction:
Container Material: Polycarbonate/polyester
Warranties & Coverage:
Months in Use Free Replacement: 36
Dimensions:
Height: 9-1/2 in.
Width: 6-4/5 in.
Length: 13 in.

If you want to spend more money on even a better battery, then get the real deal
PC2150 S and PC2150 T - Odyssey batteries

* PHCA: 2,150A at 80°F (27°C); for 5 seconds
* PCCA: 1,500A at 0°F (-18°C); for 5 seconds
* CCA: 1,090A at 0°F (-18°C)
* CA/MCA: 1,370A at 32° (0°C)
* HCA: 1,545 at 80°F (27°C)
* Reserve capacity: 205 minutes on 25amps <<<<<<< pay attention to this one! :eek:
* Short circuit current: 5,000A
* Deep cycling capability: 400 at 80% DOD
* Design life: 12 years
* Typical service life: 6 to 8 years

Isn't it a coincidence that both batteries have a reserve capacity of 205 min? :hmm: I wonder if they're both identical batteries but with a different casing......

That's because you had a crappy battery...

Sorry, but you're not going to change my mind. There is no substitute for complete redundancy. Even the "best" batteries will fail, often at unexpected and inopportune times. Plus, with two batteries piggybacked you can winch better annd even weld. And then there's the spillability factor. I had, early on, had a Sears Die Hard (or something) spew acid out the vent in a really off-camber situation. The gels don't do that.

I imagine I use my truck both personally and professionaly in more remote and extreme conditions than you so that back-up is real peace of mind in those circumstances. In any event, a Group 31 wouldn't come close to fitting in my trays so the point is probably moot.

What got me thinking about dual batteries is my Odyssey seems to be dying.

juane

What got me thinking about dual batteries is my Odyssey seems to be dying.

juane

Is it due to age or is there something else going on? I'd test the system and the batt just to make sure.

Juane,
I also use and highly recommend the Hellroaring system. It works and is idiot proof when set up in the "backup battery" mode.

As Greg said, batteries will fail. Age, heat, cold, and sometimes they just fail. My first Optima failed at 2 years... in the parking lot at American Toyota!!! Fortunately for me, I was picking up parts and Jon and Nylia were also there so Jon gave me a quick jump and I was on my way to Sears to buy another battery.

For me, the decision to do a dual system was when the fridge went in the truck. I knew there would be times that I would forget to turn it off and drain the starting battery.

There are a couple of good write-ups in the 80-Section. One by cruiserdrew and another (IIRC) by Romer. Probably a couple others in the Electronic Toys section.

-Mike-

Is it due to age or is there something else going on? I'd test the system and the batt just to make sure.

I had the battery tested - the results were not good.
It is 5 years old and it had a hard life here in Salida. The truck would sit for so long the battery would go dead, then facing zero and sub zero nights.

I like to go camping by myself in some pretty remote areas so a dual system is worth it for peace of mind.

Mike, where'd you get the right side tray?

Speaking of peace of electrical system mind: How long is an 80 alternator good for? Can the brushes be replaced? Or should I get a new one? I'm going on 160k miles.

juane

Replacing alternator brushes is easy. Mine were about 30% worn down at ~150k miles. The alternators last a long time and we have seen only a few fail; usually in conjunction with a mud bath or something like that. Photoman sells a bracket that will allow the fitment of a 150amp alternator from the Tundra/Sequoia so if you're going to replace yours then think about that option. The stock alt is 80amp.

The 91-92 battery was mounted on the right hand side and that is what everyone uses for dual batteries in the 93-97 models. Dan knows exactly what to order. It requires about 5 min with a coping saw to do some trimming around the radiator. As you know, the washer bottle has to be relocated with the kit from Slee.

_DSC2182.jpg

The above picture is a guy that used the new Sears DH Platinum which is a re-badged Odyssey. There have been a few guys say the group 31 will fit. Others said they couldn't get it to fit so I dunno what's up with that.

-Mike-

Last edited:
I had the battery tested - the results were not good.
It is 5 years old and it had a hard life here in Salida. The truck would sit for so long the battery would go dead, then facing zero and sub zero nights.

juane

Yup, I agree that's hard on a battery but five years ain't too bad given the type of abuse. I wonder if you have two batteries with this type of abuse, then will they both die in the same manner? Regardless of what battery you end up with, I suggest an inexpensive battery tender for topping off the battery while the 80 sits for long stretches of time. Get one that also desulphates the battery at the same time. Some of these units are small and meant to be mounted under the hood.

The 91-92 battery was mounted on the right hand side and that is what everyone uses for dual batteries in the 93-97 models. Dan knows exactly what to order. It requires about 5 min with a coping saw to do some trimming around the radiator. As you know, the washer bottle has to be relocated with the kit from Slee.

The above picture is a guy that used the new Sears DH Platinum which is a re-badged Odyssey. There have been a few guys say the group 31 will fit. Others said they couldn't get it to fit so I dunno what's up with that.

-Mike-

The Group 31 fits easily on the passenger side but it's a tight squeeze in the driver (oem) side is what I'm gathering. I was at Sears today and it looked like Group 25 is a nice fit on the driver side with the proper terminal location but it's only 770 CCA which may not be large enough for some folks. As part of a dual batt system, 770 should be ok I suspect. That's the size that's in my primary location. My Orbital is dying a slow death so the 25 is in the works. :hmm:

i've got a group 27 in the passenger side (1991), it fits without issues.

Speaking of peace of electrical system mind: How long is an 80 alternator good for? Can the brushes be replaced? Or should I get a new one? I'm going on 160k miles.

juane

Hey Juane -

Hola senor! Some alternator info for you - My alternator has 176,000 miles on it (I'm assuming it's original) and it was still charging OK. I asked Robbie to drop some new brushes in as part of my head gasket project, since the alternator was removed anyway. Once the alternator's out, it's literally a five minute job.

You can see the difference on the voltmeter on the dash. The needle stays right up in the charging zone (maybe 13.5 volts +/-) and it doesn't go anywhere. Before the brushes were installed, the needle would fluctuate a bit depending on the electrical draw.

The bearings and the rest of the alternator seemed fine, so he just put the brushes in and re-installed it. I am hoping to get many more miles out of this one before it dies, but it seems as good as new now.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm thinking of a dual battery system myself someday, but now I've spent all my Cruiser $$$ (for the time being) on the head gasket project.

Keep us posted next time you'll be down south! :cheers:

Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom