Dual Batteries, Why? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You'll have to excuse my rookie questions, but what is the purpose of having dual batteries? Is one just back-up in case the other one goes out. Can you use them both at the same time? I guess for those who have home theatres, winches, cb's, fridges, and electric guitars hooked to the 80 it might not seem overkill. :-[

For my application, battery 1 is an Optima Red Top starting, used exclusively for the starter, engine, etc operation. It's fully isolated from battery 2, an Optima Blue Top deep cycle, which is used 100% for winching operations.

If my winch is used enuf to kill the battery, I can still start the truck. Or, potentially, use battery 2 to jumpstart battery 1 if it were to run low on juice.

I have to, as Im running a 24V system in the diesel 8)
Nothing like having a winch thats almost 2 times as fast and uses less amps :D

With an automatic, a dead battery means you are walking home. (one of my biggest issues with automatics) Dual batteries mitigate that somewhat.

Got to keep the :beer: cold in the ARB fridge. Most trucks we do, the 2nd battery powers a 2nd fuse box for all accessories. That way, when you turn of the truck, you can run all the accessories and not worry about killing the main battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom