1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Batteries, Why?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by concretejungle, Nov 3, 2003.

1. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

You'll have to excuse my rookie questions, but what is the purpose of having dual batteries? Is one just back-up in case the other one goes out. Can you use them both at the same time? I guess for those who have home theatres, winches, cb's, fridges, and electric guitars hooked to the 80 it might not seem overkill. :-[

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    For my application, battery 1 is an Optima Red Top starting, used exclusively for the starter, engine, etc operation. It's fully isolated from battery 2, an Optima Blue Top deep cycle, which is used 100% for winching operations.

If my winch is used enuf to kill the battery, I can still start the truck. Or, potentially, use battery 2 to jumpstart battery 1 if it were to run low on juice.

3. Koffer

Koffer

I have to, as Im running a 24V system in the diesel 8)
    Nothing like having a winch thats almost 2 times as fast and uses less amps :D

4. jpwelling

jpwelling

With an automatic, a dead battery means you are walking home. (one of my biggest issues with automatics) Dual batteries mitigate that somewhat.

5. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

Got to keep the :beer: cold in the ARB fridge. Most trucks we do, the 2nd battery powers a 2nd fuse box for all accessories. That way, when you turn of the truck, you can run all the accessories and not worry about killing the main battery.

6. Landpimp

Landpimp

7. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor