Drive Indicator Shows Reverse(R) When In Drive(D) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The past month my 97 Landcruiser has been having some strange transmission issues. When the vehicle is in Drive (D), the dashboard gear indicator displays R (Reverse). Furthermore, the reverse lights come on also, so for all intents and purposes, it thinks it's in reverse. Can anyone shed some light or help me figure out what the cause of this is?

Thanks for any and all help.

-Nisi

maybe a loose or misadjusted nut on your linkages

maybe a loose or misadjusted nut on your linkages

Yeah, crawl underneath, look for the linkage coming down from the your tranny shift lever than going horizontally to your transmission. There's a nut and enough room to adjust the linkage. Don't confuse it with a similar setup for the transfer case lever. I'd play with that either direction until you get it right.

So, the nut to adjust the linkage affects only the gear display on the dash? The reason I ask is that the transmission is in the correct gear when in Drive but the dash display is incorrect. Also, when in 2 or 1 the display displays the gear properly.

Thanks!

Yeah, crawl underneath, look for the linkage coming down from the your tranny shift lever than going horizontally to your transmission. There's a nut and enough room to adjust the linkage. Don't confuse it with a similar setup for the transfer case lever. I'd play with that either direction until you get it right.

I think I remember having this problem, and it turned out to be the sector switch alignment. The sector switch is a pie-piece shape switch in an aluminum housing on the side of the transmission. In there is a piece that is rotated maybe 30-40 degrees to close a sliding, rotating switch contact and tell the transmission indicator what gear the transmission is in. Look on the drivers side of the transmission and you will see it - I forget what the adjustment looks like but it was pretty straight forward when i did mine years ago. If I could figure it out, you will have no problems with it.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

Jack, 93 LC

Thanks for the help Jack and I'll let you know how I make out.

I think I remember having this problem, and it turned out to be the sector switch alignment. The sector switch is a pie-piece shape switch in an aluminum housing on the side of the transmission. In there is a piece that is rotated maybe 30-40 degrees to close a sliding, rotating switch contact and tell the transmission indicator what gear the transmission is in. Look on the drivers side of the transmission and you will see it - I forget what the adjustment looks like but it was pretty straight forward when i did mine years ago. If I could figure it out, you will have no problems with it.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

Jack, 93 LC

Do a search for "neutral safety switch" for some more interesting threads and pics. Had this happen on my Previa and traced it back to this switch. Can be taken apart and cleaned, regreased, or worst case, replaced.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll let you know how I make out.

Do a search for "neutral safety switch" for some more interesting threads and pics. Had this happen on my Previa and traced it back to this switch. Can be taken apart and cleaned, regreased, or worst case, replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom