Drivability with Upsized Tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm curious about this little talked about topic. With all you guys going upsized (to 33, 34, 35s and more) and uprated tires (Load E with much more tire weight), hows the drivability?

I'm interested in:
1) Ride quality
2) Power and gearing
3) Braking!
4) Noise or anything other impressions?

These topics come up more in the 80 and 100-series forums. I almost wonder if because the LC-200 has more grunt (torque) and gears (6 ratios or more), that larger tires don't make too much difference?

It makes a noticeable difference. I moved to a just barely larger LT tire and the ride is more stiff, and lost a tiny bit of power and gas mileage. I wouldn't say its "bad", just different and more truck-like.

It makes a noticeable difference. I moved to a just barely larger LT tire and the ride is more stiff, and lost a tiny bit of power and gas mileage. I wouldn't say its "bad", just different and more truck-like.

Just out of curiosity, what Cold Tire Inflation Pressure(s) are you running in your LT275/65-18 Cooper AT3's?

TIA

Just out of curiosity, what Cold Tire Inflation Pressure(s) are you running in your LT275/65-18 Cooper AT3's?

TIA

Running 42psi cold

My reasoning on why you cannot find such data to pull from is that it's all up to interpretation. Tires and suspension is so personal, Kinda like boxers or briefs.

Running 42psi cold

That's a good pressure. I'm surprised your seeing such dramatically different results from stock.

My truck is totally stock - all stock suspension - with the exception of the LT285/70-17 BFG KO's on TRD 17" wheels (40psi F/R). I notice very little difference between the stock P285/60-18 tires and the LT285/70-18 BFG's. In fact, I prefer the LT285/70-17 tire/wheel combimnation because my speedometer reads correctly - instead of the falsely fast reading with the OEM tires.

I switch between them a couple times a year, mostly putting on the OEM tires for long road trips in hot weather - mostly just to save wear on the KO's and to wear out those OEM tires quickly so I can put something else on the factory rims.

HTH

I have 285/70/17 nitto tg2 but they are P rated and noticed a difference in braking and acceleration/ shift points. Not terrible but you can definitely tell a difference. Approx 1 mpg mileage difference as well.

I went from stock to LT275/70/18 E-load BFG KO2 tires.

This is my first real SUV and first time on LT tires. My previous experience is with sports cars and luxury cars.

I run them at 42 PSI cold and you hear a faint whine when on the highway because of the higher pressure and stiffer construction. The ride is a little firmer, but I really love how tough the tires feel when you hit a bump or some obstacle.

Power

It does significantly dull the "seat of the pants" rush of torque at low RPM's you get when you are riding stock tires/wheels. However, while it was exciting it's not really want I wanted from my truck so this is actually welcome. I always feel like I have more than enough power.

MPG

I've taken a 1-2 MPG hit depending on the situation. On the highway it's about the same.

Braking

I bought the truck at about 48k miles so it was time for new brakes anyway. The heavier tires do take their toll on the brakes but once I get new ones I'd guess it'll be max 5-10k miles sooner to change them the next time over stock. Totally worth it for the benefits I get.

I was in NYC recently and I was following some other SUV and a Honda Accord cut him off so bad we both had to panic stop. The tires and 48k mile old brakes worked flawlessly. When I got out of the truck I understood the phrase "stopped on a dime" there was less than an inch between us.

Would I do it again?

Absolutely. Only thing I'd change is I'd have bought them even sooner!

To me, that's too much.
Don't do it long term if you don't like, but try running 30 or 35 for a day and see what you think.

Well ... I don't feel like being overly polite today, so I'll just say it:

Running those pressures would not only be dumb, it would be dangerous.

Here's why:

The absolute MINIMUM Cold Tire Inflation Pressure recommended for LT275/65R18 tires on ANY vehicle is 35psi. At that MINIMUM recommended pressure, those tires have a Load Limit of only 1940 pounds. The MINIMUM REQUIRED Load Limit for ANY LT-Rated tire on the LC200 is 2286 pounds.

HTH

Any time you increase rotating mass you will change the driving dynamics - acceleration, cornering, braking, fuel efficiency, etc., and they are myriad variables for things like suspension, type of tire (including inflation), type of wheel. It's extremely hard to objectively quantify if the changes are worth it, but IIRC you had a nicely built 100 on 35s or close to 35s. I would honestly just suggest to lean on that experience since you've been down the road before. Stock for stock the 200 blows the 100 away in terms of acceleration and general performance (except mpg), however once you start building and adding bigger, heavier tires the road handling becomes more similar IMO. Regardless you're still going to have lots more power in reserve on the 200 no matter what, but other than that they're comparable.

Redbull and my opinions are very similar. Only difference is that the difference in acceleration and braking is soooo minor that it is almost not worth mentioning. Gas MPG for me went down 1.5 MPG. I don't hear a whine but I usually have the radio on. There is a slight steering geometry change going from 18 to 17" tires but nothing to do with the BFG tires specifically. It does take 500-1000 miles to break them in and make them less stiff in my opinion.

My ride improved, I was no longer feeling every little bump/crevice on the road. The car did become more planted which for the most part is a good thing. It increased the height of the car 1.4" making it as tall as my lifted LX470. I do feel larger bumps slightly more than before. Snow and rain handling is improved.

I consider this the best upgrade I have done to my vehicle and well worth it and like Redbull my only regret is not doing it sooner. I was soo happy with the wheels/tires that I went out and bought another 2 like new sets for future 200s. There is a reason Toyota recommends these wheels and tires. It took me a while to figure out that Toyota most likely did this because when buying an SUV if you see 13.5MPG most people will be put off. I can't speak enough of how much I love the rock warrior wheels and BFG KO2 tires.

Redbull and my opinions are very similar. Only difference is that the difference in acceleration and braking is soooo minor that it is almost not worth mentioning. Gas MPG for me went down 1.5 MPG. I don't hear a whine but I usually have the radio on. There is a slight steering geometry change going from 18 to 17" tires but nothing to do with the BFG tires specifically. It does take 500-1000 miles to break them in and make them less stiff in my opinion.

My ride improved, I was no longer feeling every little bump/crevice on the road. The car did become more planted which for the most part is a good thing. It increased the height of the car 1.4" making it as tall as my lifted LX470. I do feel larger bumps slightly more than before. Snow and rain handling is improved.

I consider this the best upgrade I have done to my vehicle and well worth it and like Redbull my only regret is not doing it sooner. I was soo happy with the wheels/tires that I went out and bought another 2 like new sets for future 200s. There is a reason Toyota recommends these wheels and tires. It took me a while to figure out that Toyota most likely did this because when buying an SUV if you see 13.5MPG most people will be put off. I can't speak enough of how much I love the rock warrior wheels and BFG KO2 tires.

Agree. Extremely minimal difference going from stock to 285/70/17 KO2's on RW wheels (or the 18" similar size).

Last edited:
Like many on this forum, I switched to 285/65R18 E KO2s within weeks of getting our 2016. I probably only had about 2K miles on the stock tires. I very much prefer the KO2s. I don't notice any more noise as any significant difference is less than the wind noise. Changes in handling and comfort were negligible if unnoticeable to me but I am a generally patient driver. I run the KO2s at 40 PSI after having it beat into me by Gaijin :doh: and it is working out great.

Like many on this forum, I switched to 285/65R18 E KO2s within weeks of getting our 2016. I probably only had about 2K miles on the stock tires. I very much prefer the KO2s. I don't notice any more noise as any significant difference is less than the wind noise. Changes in handling and comfort were negligible if unnoticeable to me but I am a generally patient driver. I run the KO2s at 40 PSI after having it beat into me by Gaijin :doh: and it is working out great.

"having it beat into me by Gaijin..." HAHAHA!! Ain't it the truth! But--the guy knows tire pressure! I changed mine to 41 based on his Tire-Ninja activities too... :poof: :steer:

I to plan on doing suspension and tires soon. First I was all in with 285/65/18 . Then I saw some rigs with 285/70/18.
Now what do I do? Is the size so minimal between the two sizes it becomes more of looks than function ?

I to plan on doing suspension and tires soon. First I was all in with 285/65/18 . Then I saw some rigs with 285/70/18.
Now what do I do? Is the size so minimal between the two sizes it becomes more of looks than function ?

Have a look at the tire size database that shows user experience re rubbing with larger tires.

You will note that 285/70/18 induces more rubbing than 285/65/18.

Here's a link to the google doc containing the link. Click where it says, "click me"
200 Series Tire and Wheel Size Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom