Door Latching/Staying Latched issue (not a ghost) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have posted this a long time ago, but the problem is getting worse.

My passenger front door closes normally, it fits smoothly with the quarter panel and rear door when closed. It will not open if pushed on from inside. However...

While driving on a rough road, or with the A/C on high fan, or when attached to my trailer. The passenger door will intermittently physically pop open and all the locks will then unlock in the car.

Some weeks it never happens, then while pulling no load on a lightweight trailer on the freeway, it happens 5 times in 15 miles. There is some rhyme/reason to the internal pressure or vibration/rough road that makes sense and causes me to believe that the latch is not completely latched while the door is closed. (there is vibration from the trailer as it has a tall gate and when unloaded it is tail heavy.)

I have tried to adjust the latch, no movement. I have tried to move the catch bar on the door jamb, no movement. I have lubricated the latch mechanism and made sure there is no debris under the catch. I am at a loss for how to stop this.

It's kinda funny occasionally as long as the passenger is wearing their seat belt and they don't drop their cell phone out the partially opened door. When my wife starts to take it personally after 5 times in a short trip, my sense of humor is lacking. When alone in the car, it is unsafe to have to reach over to the passenger door and yank it shut while moving. While making a left turn, it occasionally pops open and it swings out into traffic and stresses me the F*** out.

I am looking for a solution, would accept that the latch mechanism is bad.... the truck has never been wrecked and the door/hinges fit nicely and don't appear to be stressed, loose, or bent. Body/door experts please chime in.

HELP.

Thanks.

@Crawdad, where in Utah are you? I'm in Bountiful and am pulling parts off my '95. Maybe I can help you out. I had the same issue with the hood latch on my new 97, only it randomly wouldn't close. I pulled it and checked it, and seems to work fine, but won't catch. Even though it's well lubed, there is a cam that doesn't seem to pull far enough out of the way. I can't physically see any difference in the two latches, nor when I manipulate them without the spring. I even swapped springs thinking that would do it. Nope. I just swapped with the latch from the 95 and called it good. Seems fine now.

@Crawdad, where in Utah are you? I'm in Bountiful and am pulling parts off my '95. Maybe I can help you out. I had the same issue with the hood latch on my new 97, only it randomly wouldn't close. I pulled it and checked it, and seems to work fine, but won't catch. Even though it's well lubed, there is a cam that doesn't seem to pull far enough out of the way. I can't physically see any difference in the two latches, nor when I manipulate them without the spring. I even swapped springs thinking that would do it. Nope. I just swapped with the latch from the 95 and called it good. Seems fine now.
I'm in Orem. Happy to meet up and see what I can learn about this freaking thing.

THanks.

Alright, so I just pulled mine. 3 screws, I had to hit the handle end of the screwdriver (like a hammer drill) and use wd40 to get one to break free. Specialized screws, so to avoid a search for unobtanium, don't strip the heads.

The linkage from the handles and manual locks are held in place with plastic clips. To undo these (don't think less of me, now...) is the same motion used to undo a bra with one hand. At least... That's what I've heard.

Looking at this mechanism I'd check your linkages and see if they are all connected properly. There's one from the exterior door handle that looks like it could hang up with age, keeping the latch open.

To remove the latch from the door you'll also have to remove the bolt that holds the window rail in place. Here are some pictures of the mechanism that might be helpful to visualize.

I'd try cycling the lock mechanism, then locking it, too see if it holds in place.

The green clip in Pic 2 is the "bra strap" clip. There are 4 of these.

20160310_173921.jpg

20160310_174000.jpg

There's really not a lot to learn from the pictures. It's best to have one in your hand and play with it.

Wait! I just read this:
The passenger door will intermittently physically pop open and all the locks will then unlock in the car.

The lock mechanism may be triggering. Let me look at that.

I pulled the plastic off without breaking it (whew!). When the door closes there's a "click!" in the mechanism. Trigger it manually when your door is open, see if you get the click.

The lever I'm touching in pic 1 is the magic lever that "clicks" in place. When locked the plunger that pushes it down to release the latch is pulled in out of the way (Pic 2). When unlocked it pops back out to push it down to release the latch (Pic 3).

20160310_180918.jpg

20160310_181100.jpg

I think you can open the latch to replace,/check the springs, but I'm afraid if I do parts will fly all over the room. Better to try that on a broken latch.

20160310_181045.jpg

What about a rope tied to the door so you can hold it shut?

Here I am, doing all this research, and you come up with, "git a rope!"

Way to take the wind out of my sails!

I pulled the plastic off without breaking it (whew!). When the door closes there's a "click!" in the mechanism. Trigger it manually when your door is open, see if you get the click.

The lever I'm touching in pic 1 is the magic lever that "clicks" in place. When locked the plunger that pushes it down to release the latch is pulled in out of the way (Pic 2). When unlocked it pops back out to push it down to release the latch (Pic 3).

View attachment 1222957

View attachment 1222964

I think you can open the latch to replace,/check the springs, but I'm afraid if I do parts will fly all over the room. Better to try that on a broken latch.

View attachment 1222966
I am not getting the click. Probably time to replace it. THanks.

I've considered the rope option, but would rather just have the door stay shut.

*********************UPDATE**************
Thanks to MDarius, who provided great images, research, and a new latch out of his parts truck. I now have a secure passenger door. The latch was not catching the final click on my door, the mechanism when removed never would "click over" the final 1/8 inch of rotation, the door was shut and partially latched, but would shake loose as though someone pulled on the door handle. Now it is secure and my spouse doesn't feel like she will fall out.

Thanks MDarius and IHMUD!!! solving problems in the Landcruiser world one issue at a time!

No problem! A happy spouse makes for a happy cruiser addiction. We've got to watch out for each other when the addiction is at stake.

A bit of a necro-post, but this thread was extremely useful. I had a driver's door that wouldn't stay shut (immediately after smelling electrical smoke...perhaps the power lock actuator solenoid called it a day).

Tools needed:
-JIS 2 scredriver (Once you have a set of JIS Vessel screwdrivers, you'll be spoiled)
-10mm socket
-trim pry tools

Procedure:
1. Disconnect and remove power window switch. Window must be in the UP position.
2. Remove door card (3x screws hidden under trim). Carefully pry with tool to release plastic fasteners. Peel back the plastic sheething.
3. Remove and disconnect power door module (#2)
4. Use 10mm socket and remove window track fixing bolt
5. Lift and rotate the four plastic fasteners that hold the rods to the mechanism. Look and feel. The "bra unhooking" is a good metaphor. Most of them just need to be rotated 60 to 90 degrees to release from the rod. Then gently pull the rod out about 3/8 to 1/2" to release.
6. Remove 2 of 3 screws that hold the latch mechanism
7. Realize you've forgotten to remove the electrical connectors towards the bottom of the door (2 of them. Standard lift the tab and pull)
8. Hold the mechanism with one hand and use the screwdriver and remove the last screw.
9. Wiggle it out downwards and around the loose window track.

Installation is pretty much the reverse.

BE GENTLE with the clips. They need to be rotated counterclockwise to release. DO NOT PRY. It's often easier to "Feel" than see with these fasteners.

Save your old mechanism for springs and smalls to fix the other latches if they fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom