Don't hate me: "Best" model & year MT Tacoma for... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm sure this has been covered here and there... I hope this will bring together the collective wisdom of all of you Tacoma gurus...

Looking for a platform to build an expo/overland truck. I'm hoping for a double cab short bed.
(Eventual build elements below.)

In this case "best" is:
- absent common failure known issues present in certain model/year combos (ie. xxx is known to have timing chain leak issues etc)
- ease of upgrade OR OEM version is as good as upgrade (ie. xxx is problematic to add sliders/bumpers/lockers etc)
- reliability/maintenance (ie. xxx seems to require brake replacement more often than others etc)

I'll want to add/modify/have:
manual transmission (am I misguided here? - I do like my manual transmissions)
locker(s)
front bumper/winch
rear bumper/carrier
sliders
mild lift
skid plates
beefier steering/IFS component upgrades
cloth seats

Don't need fancy electronic stuff - I'd rather have control over traction, navigation and sound/music options. (unless I'm totally misguided here as well)

Thanks all....
mark

My buddy has a '16 3rd gen MT and he says the tuning on the engine/trans limits power lower in the RPM ranges. Apparently there's an ECU flash from OVTune that corrects for this but it kinds sucks to have to do that right out of the gate. The 2nd gens didn't have this issue so I'd say if a MT is a must look at the 2nd gens. However, if you get the tune on the 3rd gen it not only fixed the low RPM power limitation but also increases the power of the 2GR-FKS. Apparently Toyota left a lot of power on the tuning shop floor.

What’s your budget?

I really liked the 4.0 w/ 6 spd. One of my fav Toyota motor/trans combos ever. And I’ve had a few..

What’s your budget?

I really liked the 4.0 w/ 6 spd. One of my fav Toyota motor/trans combos ever. And I’ve had a few..
Is that the one you have now?

no I have the 3.5 in my 2017. 6 speed also.
2nd gen has the 4.0

I have this but in an FJ Cruiser and love it. Shifting was improved by going from factory oil -> Mobil 1 -> Redline MTL or MT90 can never remember. GL4 in any event. Someone in the FJ Cruiser sub forum commented about "not having enough power to get out of it's own way." Which is kind of ridiculous to say about a 265-275 HP 4 liter 6. Plenty torquey enough to avoid excessive shifting.

I have never driven a Tacoma newer than 2003. I am now on my second 2003 double cab shortbed Tacoma. My first one went to 290k when I sold it without any issues. It was supercharged with the v6 and auto trans. I wish I had never sold it. I just bought a second one but not supercharged. With out the extra power of the supercharger have found the trans shifts a lot more on inclines. I expect I will supercharge it again to deal with this.

I like everything else about the truck.

I have driven a 2nd gen a few times, Along with the FJ cruiser and 4Runners with the 4.0. It’s a good motor, drives like a truck (more torque in the lower RPMs. I chose a 3rd gen because I wanted a truck over a SUV, and it wasn’t until 2020 that they finally offered a power driver seat in the Tacoma. I have a back injury and could never get the manual seats into a good position, even doing the seat lift mod.

I love manuals, but got an AT since I’m tired of three pedaling 4x4s off road. The sport shifting in the AT works great both on and off road, put it in the gear you want. The AT goes still hunt some but I only notice it when cruise control is set and start going up a hill. I honestly think what must people are calling hunting is just the torque converter locking and unlocking.

Ended up getting a TRD OR for the electric diff lock, space under the hood for a dual battery to power the fridge, and because the wife wanted leather interior. We also chose the DCSB over the LB as the wheelbase of the SB is about 18” longer than our 80 series was, and total length is about 2 feet longer. The turning radius is also much bigger than the cruiser’s was, so navigating tight trails through S bends and trees can become an issue. Don’t even want to think about doing it with a long bed.

I have never driven a Tacoma newer than 2003. I am now on my second 2003 double cab shortbed Tacoma. My first one went to 290k when I sold it without any issues. It was supercharged with the v6 and auto trans. I wish I had never sold it.

We had an ‘01 TRD Off-road double cab auto. Drove it to 180,000. Should have kept it forever. It was honestly my favorite Toyota of all times, and I have been driving them since I bought an ‘81 4WD Pickup in 1985. I love my 2020 too, but there is just something about the ‘01-‘04 Doublecabs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom