Doing the windshield dip? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Ya'll

I am stripping the paint and rust off the windshield frame of my 64 fj-40 to prep for paint. Should I have it dipped to get it stripped? I can't get inside the frame very well and I know it will be a problem in the future. What should I look for in a stripping shop?

Thanks,
Michael

Michael, why not a media blast instead of a chemical strip. I am more than a little nervous about the idea of introducing anything corrosive in nature to LC sheetmetal. Stuff has a way of working into places that takes a long time to work its way back out again. And then there's the matter of the rinse agent.:eek:

Don't do it unless you have a place that
can galvanize them afterwards. Mark is
right on with bead blasting.

Media blast with shells.I.E. Walnut.Dont hit it with sand.Pecan,too.Dips are not the way to go on "hollow areas".Chemical strips are far too corrosive to put your cruiser through.High pressure will jack it up .You said rust.Amazing how much is really there when you start removing it.Check around.Glass bead at high pressure can work great but,yhe guy beading can make the diff.Check with your locals.My lousy 2 cents.

Thanks guys! What should I do after it is blasted? I don't have a shop or space, so I have to have it painted. I plan on doing all the body parts over a year period.

guenther65 said:
Thanks guys! What should I do after it is blasted? I don't have a shop or space, so I have to have it painted. I plan on doing all the body parts over a year period.

Self-etching primer. Right away.

guenther65 said:

metal cleaner (acid), metal conditioner (prevents rust), epoxy primer, and as stated above, it's best done right away. Plus, wear some rubber gloves when handling the part after blasting. The inside could use some 3m rust fighter sprayed with one of those long wands into all the little cracks.

I am taking it to a blasting shop today. I have "Klean Strip" Phosphoric Prep & Etch, Dupont Kwik Prep, etch primer and a epoxy primer. The only problem is that I don't have space to do the work. Should I just take it to a paint shop and have them finish it? Thanks for the INFO!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom