Doing rear brakes today - any last-minute tips? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FSM tells you how many notches to loosen the park brake adjuster. I don't think it equals 1/2 turn though. Look it up. I should know this as I put new rear rotors on last night, but guess what, I forgot to adjust the park brake... now I have to pull the wheels again because it isn't tight enough.

A flat head screwdriver works fine for the star, but you have to pick the right size and LINE IT UP CORRECTLY.

Hopefully you used a decent amount of brake cleaner to get all the crap off the ABS sensor and ABS ring - good time to clean them...

cheers,
george.

A flat head screwdriver works fine for the star, but you have to pick the right size and LINE IT UP CORRECTLY.

Hopefully you used a decent amount of brake cleaner to get all the crap off the ABS sensor and ABS ring - good time to clean them...

cheers,
george.

Two full cans, and the ABS sensor was covered in crud. Hoping we'll get lucky and find that was the reason the ABS light was on.

Passenger side rotor is frozen to the hub. I know the parking brake isn't on since the hub rotates freely (and also I checked the lever). It's just frozen. What size bolts do I need from the hardware store to break it free? I checked the FSM and it's got nothing on that. I know there are supposedly two bolts in some part of the radiator support that work, but I'm right near the hardware store anyway.

Got it. Not easy when you weigh 100lbs, but if you just go straight berserk on it with a hammer, it comes off (or ask a friend). Should I put a light coat of some sort of grease on the hub so the new one is easier to get off when the time comes?

I wouldn't put grease where things spin and fling it on the 'working' surface. Just source a bunch of metric bolts (which you should have just because) to pop it off next time. Toyota gave you those threaded holes for a reason...

I'd put a smear of antisieze on the lug nuts though. Also high temp grease where the FSM specifies on some of the sliding metal bits and rubber grease on caliper pins etc.

cheers,
george.

What about on the face of the hub where the rotor mounts to the hub? The grease would be squished between the rotor and the hub face. I make liberal use of anti-seize.

Grease on that face will spin and go onto the hand brake inside surface if I understand where you are thinking of putting grease. Don't do it. Get some metric bolts.

Antisieze should be a thin smear - no need for 'liberal' use... More isn't better...

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom