Dog containment - invisible fence - electronic shock - any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The poodle is big now, and can climb over one border fence, under a second, and through a third. She always could, just didn't know it. I just spent the morning tensioning a wire fence and putting new nails in a picket fence.

She sat there watching me, laughing quietly. When she came over to push another paling out of the picket fence with her nose I actually threw a pebble at her.

She does no damage, just plays with the neighbors' dogs - but she is getting annoying to bring home and the neighbors are growing tired of it too.

In all fairness, the reason this happened is because, unbeknowst to us, a neighbor's dog sitter was feeding our dog treats through the fence for weeks before I found out and asked her to stop. She wasn't interested in the fencelines before that. Now our gardens are trampled.

So, does anyone have any experience with these, and if so, is there a product you recommend?

She is otherwise an exceptionally well behaved and trained dog who gets massive praise from even friends with working cattle dogs, so I really don't want her to feel pain. But she has to stop approaching the fence.

Thanks,

Poodlemaster

for the first time in quite a while, the wifey had me watch some tv. we have a dog with some issues and she said it would work.

this program on the nat'l geographic channel called dog whisperer.
this guy is amazing.

Welcome to Cesar Millan's Official Web Site

you can learn alot from this guy including how to keep him from barking at the other dogs.

My dogs used to eat through my wood fence. An electric livestock fence put a swift end to that.

-Spike

Electric fences won't work on stupid and/or stubborn dogs. They've cross over it anyway.

Some dogs think it's a challenge to get thru. It's equivalent to the first shot of cold water in the shower before the warm water hits. I have one customer whose electric fence cable is about as thick as a 100 megawatt power line and he still gets through it.

I know of other dogs who will not go near it even though it's been turned off for years.

I have the invisible fence version and I also have alot of electric fencing.

It works very well, but you HAVE to train the dog to it. It is not something you can just hook up and turn the dog loose on. I have 4 dogs trained to mine. Once they are trained to it, they do not always have to wear the collar, they will respect the fence.

I fenced about 4 acres around my house with it.

My only complaints about it are that I had the original version, then they came out with a fancier version.

I ended up having to purchase the newer version because one of my labs lost her collar and then we got 2 new dogs that I needed to get collars for. They stopped making the older collar and I could not find them even with extensive internet searching. Of course the company made sure that the new collar did not work with the old unit.:mad:

In regards to the standard electric fencing, I have one for livestock that hits over 5000V. The dogs avoid it at all costs. So do I. It is amazing how you can be working around it and the wire reaches out and grabs your arm:D

CL has it right. You need to work with the dog. When I had a IF up, the collar would slowly chirp as the dog got closer to the wire, and eventually, if the dog was stubborn enough, it would finally admit a static shock. However, some dogs have figured out that if they run across the wire, it minimized the amount of shock. Fortunately, the IF company also has several other collars that have both different probe tips and varying degrees of shock that can be applied for the more stubborn dogs. If anything, buy one at petsmart, try it out and return it if it doesn't work. Good luck.

I used to have a dog that was pretty stubborn, a Cocker Spaniel and something else mix. He would always run off into the depths of the neighborhood, took hours to find him. We got an invisible fence with the shock collar. It worked for a few days, then he figured out that if he ran fast enough, he could jump over the pre-existing fence (which the IF was buried under), and avoid shock.

Dumb dog.

We, too, have the Invisible Fence. It took patience and time, but it is SO nice to have our dog respect those boundaries. We had to get the extra-long electrodes and turn the sucker all the way up to get past his thick undercoat, but it is all good. Temptation in the form of coyotes, horses, deer, elk, bears, foxes, and many other dogs all go by and he stays at home, and at the same time, no chain, no kennel, no chasing him all over the place when those fail. And even when the fence is off, or the collar is charging, he knows where his boundaries are!

Pet Safe makes a radio fence that sends out an adjustable containment area. Just plug it in, put the collar on the dog, and you are set.We bought ours at Home Depot, and love it. Took about 10 minutes for the dog to catch on, and she hasn't gotten out since. We don't even need to put the collar on her any more.
The best part is that we can take the fence anywhere we go (Parents house...in-laws...etc) and our dog isn't running all over.

I recommend it to anyone.

Pet Safe makes a radio fence that sends out an adjustable containment area. Just plug it in, put the collar on the dog, and you are set.We bought ours at Home Depot, and love it. Took about 10 minutes for the dog to catch on, and she hasn't gotten out since. We don't even need to put the collar on her any more.
The best part is that we can take the fence anywhere we go (Parents house...in-laws...etc) and our dog isn't running all over.

No wire in the ground? Sweet. How much $$ ?

We, too, have the Invisible Fence. It took patience and time, but it is SO nice to have our dog respect those boundaries. We had to get the extra-long electrodes and turn the sucker all the way up to get past his thick undercoat, but it is all good. Temptation in the form of coyotes, horses, deer, elk, bears, foxes, and many other dogs all go by and he stays at home, and at the same time, no chain, no kennel, no chasing him all over the place when those fail. And even when the fence is off, or the collar is charging, he knows where his boundaries are!

Cheater! I thought you were just an outstanding dog trainer.;)

Ed:D

I'd go with the sonic fence from lost....

:flipoff2:

I'll look into that.

Would it pretty much be a circular containment area though? My lot is squarish. Sounds good for the beach.

Our lot is square also, but it only cuts off the corners. It will cover up to about 1/2 acre.

gmarshall: Mine was $289.00 1 month ago when we bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom