Dog/Cargo Guards? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does Toyota make a dog guard for the 100 series cruisers? Anyone know of a well made aftermarket one? Thanks..

You mean like a pet divider? Not sure if Toyota makes one, but Performance Products carries one. Not sure of the quality though.

If you really want one that is rated to work in an accident, then the Milford Barriers are the way to go. They are not cheap, but work. Make Derek Lee still has his. He had some fitment issues and not sure if it was resolved. Search Milford.

I'd love a Milford Barrier but it isn't in the budget right now. I'm looking for a cargo net... something like this but mounted better. Seems to be a gap at the top.

http://www.raingler.com/shop/productDetails.asp?productID=81
Toypetunia-006.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't the Milford only fit '98-'02's from a prev. thread?

Christo - I do still have it. I am trying to fab up a set of upper arms to mount the top portion back to the rear of the cargo area, maybe use the third row seatbelt bolts in the headliner. That way nothing touches the side of the interior of the truck. The only problem with using the stock Milford top mounts is that they bolt up to the sheet metal right where the third row hand grab sits. So they may interfere with the side curtain airbag guide if those deploy (the airbag itself would not hit the barrier as it only drops into the second row, but the accordian type trailing paper guide drops down in the rear - hard to explain without a picture). I think it would still be fine, but don't want to take chances. I think my idea of extending the upper mounting arms will resolve this issue. But if someone wants to make me an offer...

Jim - You have to get the barrier for the Sahara VX, but it fits perfectly. Only possible issue is the side curtain airbags if you have those, as mentioned above.

Consider a crate. Not only does it keep them contained, but I understand it makes recovery in an accident easier for emergency crews (pull out the entire crate as oppsed to an angry injured dog). It also keeps the interior of your vehicle cleaner. They are about $100.00 at your local pet store.

If someone will take an 80 series to raingler they have offered to make a net to fit, but they need a truck for mockup.

Raingler
4549 Tabor St. ste. E
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033

mainecruiser said:
Consider a crate. Not only does it keep them contained, but I understand it makes recovery in an accident easier for emergency crews (pull out the entire crate as oppsed to an angry injured dog). It also keeps the interior of your vehicle cleaner. They are about $100.00 at your local pet store.

My wife also had this idea of using our long-since outgrown puppy crate (has top and side doors) for holding small stuff and keeping groceries from rolling around. Only problem w/ using a large dog crate is the door would be on the side, so you'd have to use two smaller crates both facing rearward. You could also stack the crates in a 2x2 grid. Ideally, you'd get a crate w/ multiple doors so you can access the gear from the 2nd row seats, so no need to pull over and open the hatch. This is probably the way I'd go.

From what I have seen of the crates available, I wouldn't count on your canine surviving a crash unless there was a proper cargo barrier in front of it, and then it's a maybe in my book. ( as well as the fact that you are not going to survive it's impact in your back or head) Put a proper rated steel cargo barrier in place behind the second row of seats, then if necessary buy the dividing barrier to keep them on one side. Dogs weigh between 5 and 60 kg generally, and a steel full cargo barrier is probably rated at 60 kg(132lb) , depending on make and model, and maybe as low as 30 kg (66lbs). This is because of the fact that the mass in the rear compartment can move, the mounting points for the barrier and it is travelling at 65mph in a crash etc etc. If you want to keep your vehicle clean and safe and make it safe for the driver and passengers so that a torpedo, shaped like an elongated dog, doesn't pass through your seat and body in an accident, buy the best protection available. My 2 cents worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom