Does the LC100 dimmer wire just not work with some head units? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed a Kenwood DMX1057XR eXcelon head unit and got everything working except the dimming. From what I understand, the illumination wire in the 100 carries the rheostat dimming signal, but the head unit only switches back and forth between day mode and night mode, which is fine. What I'm wondering is if the Kenwood is not liking what I assume is a continuously variable voltage signal from the dimmer wire, rather than an off / on signal from headlights.

Anyone get a recent Kenwood head unit working with the illumination wire from the harness that feeds the OEM radio, or should I hunt up a headlight wire somewhere else?

(And if anyone has any questions about the install, feel free to ask. I should write it up, it was quite a process for a novice such as myself).

I mean at least some pictures...

I've never seen a dimmer wire not work—curious to see what others say.

I mean at least some pictures...

I've never seen a dimmer wire not work—curious to see what others say.
1642212967432.png

Here's a picture for now, will take completed pics when the sun's back out, and write this up eventually.

I think the 10" floating screen is a pretty good fit for the Cruiser. Need to adjust the front-back and tilt a bit, but it fits (you can't see the temp and clock anymore, but everything else is fine).

Glad to hear that dimmer wires usually work, thanks for that! I had to transplant the connector from another harness so maybe I mess that up. I'll have to yank it out and test the voltage under different scenarios.

The Excelon units look so good—maybe someday I'll figure out how to jam one in an '03. Jealous!

I do like it so far. Very responsive touchscreen, somehow improves the sound even of my semi-blown OEM speakers (those are next). Wireless carplay flawless (so far), backup camera works well, 4 or maybe 5 camera inputs? Dash cam control integration, still need to install that as well.

I recently installed a Sony xav-ax1000. I don’t seem to get any dimmer functionality. I have manual adjustments that I can make within the settings menu, but that’s it.

Nightbrew, do you recall if the harness adapter you used had the illumination pin in it? Spot #2 I believe.

Oddly enough, Crutchfield sent me two Metra adapters, one for bypassing the amp (which I did) that didn't have the illumination wire, one for keeping the amp which did have the illumination wire. I swapped the pin and wire for illumination into the harness I used, the amp bypass one.

This comment suggests grabbing the illumination signal off one of the other harnesses in the dash area, huh!

Last edited:
Deleted

This comment suggests grabbing the illumination signal off one of the other harnesses in the dash area, huh!

This was the answer for my son’s 2000 LC.

For some odd reason the typical store bought adapters (like Metra) don’t use the factory dimmer wire.

The last Kenwood head unit that we had in his vehicle was a fancy nav unit from ~2015, and it had multiple dimmer settings in its menus. I remember one option being “ignore the dimmer wire, and change day/night mode based on time of day”

Nightbrew, do you recall if the harness adapter you used had the illumination pin in it? Spot #2 I believe.

Oddly enough, Crutchfield sent me two Metra adapters, one for bypassing the amp (which I did) that didn't have the illumination wire, one for keeping the amp which did have the illumination wire. I swapped the pin and wire for illumination into the harness I used, the amp bypass one.
My metra adapters did not include a connection for pin#2. However I depinned the old harness and made the connection that way. But alas, no dimming.

I need to go check mine to see what setting is being used. Whatever brightness setting is in use, no complaints yet.

I have a DMX907s that I bought last year before they became scarce. I'll be glad to show you some of the neat camera things that the unit supports. I don't want to hijack this thread.

1642253773940.png

Reactions: jLB
I think I just found any wire I could that changed voltage when the lights came on and tapped into that one, the illumination wire is just looking for a signal, any wire will do.

The dimmer wire provides a variable ground for the dash lights. The other side of dash lights are tied to 12V.
So when dash lights are at maximum brightness the dimmer wire is at ground level. The dimmer the dash lights, the closer to 12V the dimmer wire will appear from voltage flowing through dash lights.

The dimmer wire provides a variable ground for the dash lights. The other side of dash lights are tied to 12V.
So when dash lights are at maximum brightness the dimmer wire is at ground level. The dimmer the dash lights, the closer to 12V the dimmer wire will appear from voltage flowing through dash lights.

Every head unit I've ever had only had two levels, full brightness when the headlights are off, or "dimmed" when the headlights are on, so you just need a trigger wire. Might just be my experience, maybe others actually have variable dimming also, but I haven't seen that.

Edit: Digging around on some car audio websites, other people have confirmed my experience too.

1643121976748.png

Last edited:
The info in @TXSunDevil 's post Installing aftermarket double din in an 01 non navi - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/installing-aftermarket-double-din-in-an-01-non-navi.1085469/#post-11866846 also worked for me (2000 LC100 non-nav amp bypass install). Instead of using the illumination wire present in the original head unit harness and mapped through the metra adapter, I positapped the C9 #10 green wire, and now my headunit changes display mode when lights go on and off. Thanks very much for that post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom