Does OME not have a 4" lift kit for FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looked on the website, only saw 2.5" Also the Dakkar springs were supposed to be the "economy" springs, but now it seems as though they are the only ones they sell.

Those aren't OME springs, they are Safari springs, which was manufactured by McCoy Springs in Canada (at least as of last year when I got the kit, sans shackle reversal). They just put OME shocks on there. From my research, the only why to make an OME 2.5" spring lift into a 4" lift would be with a shackle reversal and extended shackles at the rear. To my knowledge, 2.5" springs are the largest for a 40 by OME.

Hope this helps.

I read that OME has not made a 4" lift kit because they are unable to offer a kit that provides the kind of ride quality that is expected of their name. Until they can do that, there will be no 4' for the 40. I think read that on their site.
Looked on the website, only saw 2.5" Also the Dakkar springs were supposed to be the "economy" springs, but now it seems as though they are the only ones they sell.

I read that OME has not made a 4" lift kit because they are unable to offer a kit that provides the kind of ride quality that is expected of their name. Until they can do that, there will be no 4' for the 40. I think read that on their site.

That's funny because although the OME springs ride well enough on a 60
I thought they had a terribly stiff ride on a 40.
If you were to have alcan or the likes build you a set that rode well, you'd need to drop the OME spring rate about 50~60 lbs/in and adjust the free arch and length to compensate.

Honestly I haven't run "Dakars" on a 40. I have, however, run original Aussie made OME's on a 40 and thought they were way too stiff for rock crawling. I have a brand new set, never used, aussie made
front springs for a 40 that I will gladly unload for half what i paid for them.
I assume ARB kept the same spring rates on the Dakars as they ran on their originals

Honestly I haven't run "Dakars" on a 40. I have, however, run original Aussie made OME's on a 40 and thought they were way too stiff for rock crawling. I have a brand new set, never used, aussie made
front springs for a 40 that I will gladly unload for half what i paid for them.
I assume ARB kept the same spring rates on the Dakars as they ran on their originals

Dave, I have Aussie OME's on the front and OME Dakars on the rear axle of my 40. An ARB tech rep assured me that the spring rates, Aussie made OME vs. Dakar/Malaysia, were identical. He said the spring steel, construction quality, and specs did not change when ARB moved manufacturing to Malaysia. This was a couple of years ago, but I assume nothing has changed.

I'm not too impressed with the ride quality on my 40....(2.5" OME Dakkar springs and Nitrocharger shocks) - bought the entire setup from MAF, along with their anti-iversion shackles with greasable pins.

Rides so rough, it will bounce you out of the vehicle if you're not seatbelted in!

I'm going to have to relocate my shackle mounts on the frame, as the shackle angle is now perpendicular to the ground- meaning 90deg straight up and down.

I've had them on for over 5K miles now...and I've got to do something about it - so uncomfortable to ride in!

Hi All:

A SWB, leaf-sprung 4wd will never ride as comfortably as a car, or a 80 Series Land Cruiser :rolleyes:

The biggest issue people have with OME springs/shocks is buying the wrong models for their vehicle.

I ran the OME (Aussie-made) leaf springs for ten years. Although I originally fit medium-load springs front and rear, I soon removed a leaf from the rear spring packs (converting them to a light-load spring) for better rear shackle angle, ride quality, and wheel travel.

Regards,

Alan

I had the original Aussie made OME medium springs with my FJ40 back then and were very happy with ride quality. 2.5" were good for 33" tires, then I wanted to run 35" tires hence my SOA conversion with stock flat springs.

I'm not too impressed with the ride quality on my 40....(2.5" OME Dakkar springs and Nitrocharger shocks) - bought the entire setup from MAF, along with their anti-iversion shackles with greasable pins.

Rides so rough, it will bounce you out of the vehicle if you're not seatbelted in!

I've installed the light version of the dakar springs on a BJ42. And compared to the original suspension it rides like a dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom