Does my Warn M12 sound right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pierce

SILVER Star
Threads
Gentlemen,

Warn M12 Winch. 2012 model. I’ve been throwing parts at it for years… new Contractor Control pack, New 9.5xp motor, new wires, new battery, new controlleridle up cable… no change

This is where y’all say “sounds fine to me” but when I first got it I remember it sounding smooth and not notchy and maybe faster??

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

don't park next to anyone running a jackhammer. If that is the winch making that noise something is probably wrong inside. Might need to revisit your "rebuild"

Nah, unfortunately not a troll post. I’m just out of ideas on what I need to do to fix it.

trying to get a likely idea of what is broken.

That’s bizarre. It sounds like electrical. I can’t hear the winch itself hardly with all that.

That’s what I thought as well. All electrical components have been replaced with no change. I’ve searched it many times and can’t find anything with matching symptoms.

the clicking you are hearing is the winch cycling. The LC’s engine runs smooth.

The solenoids literally cannot cycle that fast and the spooling doesn't appear to be lurching either.

Almost sounds like the motor shaft, as far as frequency.
Definitely run it in free spool.
Does it make the sound under power out?

Last edited:
It does make the sound under power out. It does NOT make the sound during free spool.

I upgraded the solenoid pack to the Albright type which you can only barely hear.

It’s my understanding that the brake is in the motor casing?? If it is then it’s new and was doing the same thing with the old, still functioning motor.

I tested the old and new motors independently prior to installing. they run smoothly without any unusual noises.

when under load is reels in cable smoothly although it’s slow as hell. It’s my first winch so not entirely sure if it’s the correct line speed.

If it doesn't do it under free spool id say its in the gearset.
The brake is inside the drum and would turn whether or not freespool was engaged.
Have you tried using a stethoscope?

here I was wondering beforehand if I was gonna be able to tell anything and when the vid started my ears just about exploded... yikes!
Conservative as I may be regarding passing judgement (ah! says SO...), I think I can safely say that, yes, there is something a bit off there...

Turns out I’m an idiot and forgot to attach the small ground wire for the control box. Pretty embarrassing. Running like a champ now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom