Dobinson dual swing out rear bumper install help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm almost through my build and am currently tackling installation of a Dobinson dual swing out rear bumper. I have run into a problem with the fitment and have contacted both Dobinson and the store I bought it from, but am hoping someone here can weigh in as well. This is for a 2017 GX460 by the way.

The bumper has a large bracket (looks like a trailer hitch) that bolts to the underside of the frame rails (has side to side adjustment), as well as bolts to the rear of the frame just above the hitch receiver. this bracket fits snug to the back of the frame and doesn't seem to have any adjustment fore or aft. the only issue I ran into installing the bracket was that the bolts weren't long enough to reach the threads, so I had to purchase longer ones.

I was able to mount the bumper on the bracket, and made the mistake of painstakingly measuring before tightening bolts and reinstalling the bumper body panel. I say this was a mistake, because I just had to loosen them back up to get the body panel back on. Once I got the panel back on, I realized that there was no way the bumper could sit far enough forward to mate with the back of the bracket. If I did that, the swing arm stanchions pushed into the body panel, so I'm wondering if I need to notch the panel, but I'm not sure that would even be enough room. if the bumper does need to sit further back, do I need to add shims and use longer bolts above the hitch?

The other issue, and maybe even a larger issue, is the body panel sticks out a good inch and half on both sides of the bumper. I'm almost feeling like this would require custom panels.

The instructions are a joke and remind me of a cartoon my kids watch where they distill every task down to 3 over simplified steps: "step 1, unpack the bumper; step 2 install the bumper; step 3 put away tools". The company I bought this from has been very responsive, but hasn't installed one on a 150, so they are relying on Dobinson. This bumper seems to be good quality, especially for the price, but this roadblock is frustrating.

Let me know if anyone has installed one of these and can chime in with some ideas

unnamed4.jpg
unnamed3.jpg
unnamed2.jpg
unnamed.jpg
unnamed5.jpg
unnamed4.jpg
unnamed3.jpg
unnamed2.jpg
unnamed.jpg
unnamed5.jpg

I read somebody at GXOR got the same issue on 14+ model. Cannot find the tread anymore. 14+ rear bumper are a lot fatter than the earlier model.

Wow, that gap on the sides is huge! Are there caps that go over that? Or perhaps they sent you the wrong bumper??
Truly hope you get this sorted out and Dobinson stands behind all their products.

Wow, that gap on the sides is huge! Are there caps that go over that? Or perhaps they sent you the wrong bumper??
Truly hope you get this sorted out and Dobinson stands behind all their products.
No caps, but I think some of this is the panel flaring out because it is being pushed in by the swing arm stanchions. Still waiting to hear from Dobinson, but assuming I may have to live with it and consider fabricating new side/corners for the body panel. I did study the pictures GX4OR's build, and it does seem like he has some overhang, but nothing this drastic.

I have one on my 2012 and it is smooth with side panels...so I would guess the '14 must have different rear panels. BTW, I had to remove that hitch to get mine installed (then I was able to grind the plate down and stick back up between the bumper and frame, but it wouldn't fit without taking that vertical plate off the frame).

That looks terrible and I would be very upset with that result. I hope they get this worked out for you.

I am not sure how the bumper mounts to the frame bracket wise. I would try and use some thick washers if possible to bring the bummper straight away form the frame. That could help 1/8th of a inch or so. Or you could have someone fab an angled bracket that brings the bumper rearward on its mounting points.

I am not sure how the bumper mounts to the frame bracket wise. I would try and use some thick washers if possible to bring the bummper straight away form the frame. That could help 1/8th of a inch or so. Or you could have someone fab an angled bracket that brings the bumper rearward on its mounting points.
I ended up using washers to bump it out. I had to trim the mess out of the bumper and remove the backup lights. I noticed that Dobinson recently updated their website to say that 2014 and newer models require substantial body modification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom