Do You Use the Original Jack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought a hydraulic bottle jack from the store, thinking it would be a good idea, it sucked, went back to the factory one.

I bought a complete tool kit and jack from a 2006 Tacoma. Was brand new and had the entire tool kit with all the extensions. I actually carry the Tacoma jack because it will go higher than the original LC jack. $100 from eBay Salvage Yard including freight. I needed it before I started driving it.

I actually need one of these kits....bottle jack with handle etc....mine never came with one. So.....if anyone has an extra I would love to help you part ways with it. ;)

Yes I use the original jack.

20170306_140532.jpg

I just used both my Land Cruiser and 4Runner mechanical jacks to position my axle while removing leaves out of the 4Runner. They have never failed me.

The OE jack stays full time in the 80, only needed it in anger once but works fine.

Anything other than a tyre change I use one of my garage jacks, on the trails I take the longer of the two Hi Lifts.

Regards

Dave

Not to be the odd man out but I am not a fan of the stock mechanical jack, I'll grab my harbor freight hydraulic jack before I use the stock one. Also if I wasn't so lazy I would find a land Rover Hydraulic jack that has an axle craddle.

Not to be the odd man out but I am not a fan of the stock mechanical jack, I'll grab my harbor freight hydraulic jack before I use the stock one. Also if I wasn't so lazy I would find a land Rover Hydraulic jack that has an axle craddle.

You will hard pressed to find a failed factory Toyota jack. The same find is not hard on a HF hydraulic jack.

As for the LR jack you can have the best of both worlds using a factory Toyota jack with a Jack Adapter with the bonus of more lift.

LR jack on the left factory on the right

100_2337-jpg.338865

Toyota 80 series Jack Adapter is has offset uprights to lock in place on front axle to prevent any movement not the same results using a LR jack

jack adp 80.jpg

Hydraulic means possibility of a leak, but spot on about the LR cradle, unfortunately the LR jacks do leak, in particular if used on an uneven platform, this somehow twists them causing a leak, BTDT.

Regards

Dave

8332784920_4cff83a120_z.jpg

I still use my factory jack (with extra wood) along with a scissor jack when I am rotating my tires. I do a five tire rotation
using my spare to extend the life. Yes, I usually carry the wood in my rig. I have a big block of wood as well.
I know the EMC-KOH racers are using these scissor jacks too. The one they are using is a lot taller and beefier
so I will have to upgrade to that one. I also have a hi-lift as well. You never know the situation you will be in and
having all these tools is a good idea. Plus, the stock jack has a factory location to carry it in. It's always there
when you need it! And one day you will, especially if you remove it from your rig! hehehe

I just ordered a complete original tool kit and jack for a 100 series for $129 and free shipping. I thought that was a pretty good deal considering some of our vendors are selling an incomplete kit without jack for $300-350. I've been without a jack since I bought the truck 4 years ago. I'm stoked that I will have a complete truck now and can change a flat myself if the need arises.

I have a better bottle jack at home for most work. More travel and bigger surface area. On the truck I have the factory jack and my hilift.

I carry a 1'x1'x4" block of wood for a jack base and solar shower thing to stand on.

A co worker from years back (RIP Kevin), died when his scissor jack collapsed, he trusted it to change a wheel on a Ford Granada, we are unsure to this day why he lent under the car, perhaps to collect a wheel nut that had rolled, the jack failed and the rest is history.

I had one collapse on me as a stupid youngster on a steep learning curve, the mate with me had put bricks under the axle. The jack collapsed and then the bricks started to crumble, he dragged me out by my ankles as the bricks disintegrated and car fell to the floor.

Perhaps there are better quality versions out there now but, I would not trust a scissor jack as far as I could throw a grand piano!

Regards

Dave

A co worker from years back (RIP Kevin), died when his scissor jack collapsed... I would not trust a scissor jack as far as I could throw a grand piano!

Regards

Dave

I would not get under a vehicle supported only by a jack of any kind. Add good blocking - no need to explain that about bricks now that you've related your experience with them -- and I will chance it if I must. I prefer good beefy jackstands, but they are just too much to haul along. If needed, the spare slid underneath is a good field expedient that will keep the truck from crushing you, although you may need help to get out, perhaps injured, if the jack fails depending on rim width, tire width, and your personal thickness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom