DO NOT BUY AXLES FROM DETROIT AXLE!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Out of the last 4 attempts at getting a decent reman'd axle, Detroit Axle sent me 1. A single decent axle. 2. a Tacoma Axle in a box with an LC part number, 3. an axle that was so wire brushed the inner dust cover would not stay in place, and 4. today, the piece of crap below. They sent me someone's MESSED UP RETURN. It even has the other guy's greasy fingerprints on it.

Due to my recent problems with them, and other people on the board, I can honestly say that Detroit Axle is inept and incompetent. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THEM< THEY ARE A BAD SELLER >.

I am quite pissed off right now.
IMG_20181101_154538.jpg
IMG_20181101_154544.jpg

CVJ Axles have a pretty good rep and decent pricing. Might try them if you haven't already. OEM are pricey for sure.

Lol, you get what you pay for. It usually takes me one try to learn that, not four.
This seems like a dick comment. This is supposed to be a friendly forum. Try to be better.

By the time you add Toyota boots to a rebuild, you're too close to the price of new Toyota to not seriously consider new.

Dealing with parts can be very frustrating and time consuming. Just take a breath and move on.

New OEM is best, used second, re-mans are below NAPA aftermarket IMHO. I say NAPA because I saw a post of one shop switching to them recently after issues with other re-mans.

I've had issue with CVJ, but they're better than most. I've done best with them by taking in my own FDS (CV's) and waiting for it to be rebuilt. The OEM Boot kit is $85 up-charge which is kind of high considering they're booting anyway, but it is a must. Your then out the door ~$200 plus the ride.

But I highly recommend new OEM for ~$350 plus diff seal, hub flange and cone washer, shipping your ~$430 to your door. Do one side now the other next year, softens the pain. You'll love it!

Or: You could look at local recycles as a sources. By now you've got a good idea what to look for.

Or: I'll work something out with you on a good USED set I have.

But really NEW OEM and you'll love it. Come back later and do stabilizer bushing and links. Then front diff bushing. Top it off with new rack bushing. Ball joints if needed. You'll think your rig just came off factory floor. It is so sweet!

Last edited:
It wasn't four purchases, it was three laughable attempts by them to make it right.

I’m not trying to be a troll. I have a 2000 LC I’ve owned since new. From my experience and the experience of my mechanic reman parts are a total crap shoot. Even the fact that they guarantee the part, what’s the labor cost of removing and replacing the bad part? How much is your time worth dealing with the incompetent morons at Detroit Axle?

FWIW I am having to replace a bad new, OEM right axle I just put in with a new steering rack. I can understand being pissed.

Dealing with parts can be very frustrating and time consuming. Just take a breath and move on.

New OEM is best, used second, re-mans are below NAPA aftermarket IMHO. I say NAPA because I saw a post of one shop switching to them recently after issues with other re-mans.

I've had issue with CVJ, but they're better than most. I've done best with them by taking in my own FDS (CV's) and waiting for it to be rebuilt. The OEM Boot kit is $85 up-charge which is kind of high considering they're booting anyway, but it is a must. Your then out the door ~$200 with shipping for most on top of that.

But I highly recommend new OEM for ~$350 plus diff seal, hub flange and cone washer, shipping your ~$430 to your door. Do one side now the other next year, softens the pain. You'll love it!

Or: You could look at local recycles as a sources. By now you've got a good idea what to look for.

Or: I'll work something out with you on a good USED set I have.

But really NEW OEM and you'll love it. Come back later and do stabilizer bushing and links. Then front diff bushing. Top it off with new rack bushing. Ball joints if needed. You'll think your rig just came off factory floor. It is so sweet!
Just ordered new OEM. $382 delivered to my door. Life is too short to deal with ordering stuff, waiting for it, then finding it's not right through no fault of your own and having to get it dealt with (TWICE).

I already have a new rack and I dumped the sway bar two years ago (I wheel mine). It's already probably one of the nicest regularly wheeled 100s in the Central Florida area. :)

I’m not trying to be a troll. I have a 2000 LC I’ve owned since new. From my experience and the experience of my mechanic reman parts are a total crap shoot. Even the fact that they guarantee the part, what’s the labor cost of removing and replacing the bad part? How much is your time worth dealing with the incompetent morons at Detroit Axle?

FWIW I am having to replace a bad new, OEM right axle I just put in with a new steering rack. I can understand being pissed.
Bad new OEM that I've not seen. What wrong with it?

Out of the last 4 attempts at getting a decent reman'd axle, Detroit Axle sent me 1. A single decent axle. 2. a Tacoma Axle in a box with an LC part number, 3. an axle that was so wire brushed the inner dust cover would not stay in place, and 4. today, the piece of crap below. They sent me someone's MESSED UP RETURN. It even has the other guy's greasy fingerprints on it.

Due to my recent problems with them, and other people on the board, I can honestly say that Detroit Axle is inept and incompetent. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THEM< THEY ARE A BAD SELLER >.

I am quite pissed off right now.
View attachment 1822412View attachment 1822413

Had exactly the same experience with a DA steering rack recently. After almost an entire month of taking up my friend's garage due to the back and forth with racks, I needed to get something else just so I could clear out and he could park at his own house again.

Am I the only one that finds humor in the guy saying always go OEM, mentioning he has to replace a bad OEM axle? Not hating, just funny given the circumstance.

I used $70 auto zone axles on my 4unner and wheeled it pretty good without any problems, they were on about 4 years until I traded it in.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Toyota doesn’t make the axles themselves right? Someone else does. Before I pay 4x the price for a part I’d like to see some proof that what Toyota is selling is the one and only part of that quality that can be purchased solely from them.

Maybe a bad example, but I see harbor freight stuff at other stores constantly, for more money. Isn’t this just how the world works? Let some people pay for the name and peace of mind?

Am I the only one that finds humor in the guy saying always go OEM, mentioning he has to replace a bad OEM axle? Not hating, just funny given the circumstance.

I used $70 auto zone axles on my 4unner and wheeled it pretty good without any problems, they were on about 4 years until I traded it in.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Toyota doesn’t make the axles themselves right? Someone else does. Before I pay 4x the price for a part I’d like to see some proof that what Toyota is selling is the one and only part of that quality that can be purchased solely from them.

Maybe a bad example, but I see harbor freight stuff at other stores constantly, for more money. Isn’t this just how the world works? Let some people pay for the name and peace of mind?

OEM will need replaced eventually no matter who the MFG is. But, Toyota for 4Rs are not the same QC or quality components for Cruisers.

IMO, a 4R is the Harbor Freight of Toyota.

J

:rofl:

Auto Zone remans used to be really good ones in the world of reman axles. I sold a lot of them when I worked there, way back when. There is a difference between an Auto Zone reman on an OEM core (no longer sold, BTW, since last year), and the offshore new manufacture ones. There is one of the last of those AZ OEM-core remans in my garage right now, just put a new boot on it. It's not a great reman, but it gave me 2 good years before I ripped a boot wheeling.

The new ones the parts houses sell are a noticeably inferior product, and the tripods are of a very different design. The problem is, it is not easy to find a reputable remanufacturer of OEM axles any more (see the top of this post). OEM new or remans on an OEM core are both worlds better than 'new' parts house axles for Cruisers, especially if you are offroading (due to the better design of the OEM).

OEM remans are good, but if you ever take one apart, the internals are just never really very nice. The wear is still apparent. But they work, if you get a good one. But that is the problem - it is a crapshoot on if you get good or junk.

Buying new is 100% guaranteed fit, finish, and quality. And it comes with all the seals and dust covers, as well, which is worth about $40-50 if you have to buy separately. So for trying to not spend the extra $200 that the OEM new is going to cost me, I could have avoided a s***-ton of hassle, effort, and annoyance, and had my truck back on the road two weeks ago.

Live and learn, that was definitely a false economy on my part.

OEM will need replaced eventually no matter who the MFG is. But, Toyota for 4Rs are not the same QC or quality components for Cruisers.

IMO, a 4R is the Harbor Freight of Toyota.

J
And I will disagree on that one, Jason. T4Rs are still made in Japan, and that still means something. We traded a 16 T4R Limited on our 17 Taco Off Road (needed the Taco to tow something the T4R could not because of weight). The T4R fit-and-finish was on par with any LC I've seen. It was just not as over-built.

The Taco... it's nice, but it ain't made it Japan. That is all I need to say about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom